IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

27 minutes ago, SWL3600 said:

I'm not clear what the red switch is for? Vbus? I don't even know what Vbus is....

I will be inserting the new ISO Regen in place of my USB Regen, which is powered by the LPS-1. Will the voltage setting stay the same? How should the 'Red Switch' be set?

Chain will be:

Laptop

Curious Regen-Link 

ISO-REGEN 

USPCB adaptor

IFI Micro-link USB-Spdif converter 

DEQ 2496

Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 DAC

I'm not UpTone, but vBus refers to the 5v power line from your computer to your DAC. This is used to power some DAC's, or for handshake between the devices, or not at all. I'm guessing that the red switch defeats the 5v power feed from the isoREGEN if your DAC doesn't need it. I'm sure that Alex C. will correct me if I am mistaken.

Now, please don't be offended, but I have to ask. Why would you string almost $1,500 worth of USB enhancement devices and extra cables between your computer and a $279 DAC? Wouldn't it make more sense just to invest in a better DAC and not have all that extra "stuff"?

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Though these days (not with the chain you're referring to, with a 24/96 equalizer in front of it), it's slightly more understandable if you're doing your upsampling in software and don't necessarily need to pay someone for filter design in a DAC.

The issue here is not filter design or upsampling, but a good USB interface. Some people believe, wrongly, that modern DAC designers still have not figured out how to make that work.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

It's the classic old "integrated vs. separates" question, isn't it? :)

If by that you mean a DAC that has a functional USB input, requiring only one USB cable between computer and DAC, as opposed to a lesser DAC that needs several accessory USB hubs, cleaners, and isolators, all with dedicated power supplies, and a chain of jumper cables, then, yes, I prefer the "integrated" unit.

6 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

I have three questions for a reality check please  

I have a caps pipeline within HD Plex ATX LPS  which means that everything in my computer including the SOTM USB card get clean power.   I have a shunyata USB cable connected to an eastern electric mini max DAC supreme.  All of my components are plugged in to a Shunyata hydra. 

1.  Would the ISO regen help me?

2.  Would it defeat the ground isolation if I powered it with my HD Plex ATX ?

3.  Slightly off-topic,  I am assuming that with my set up a micro Rendu would not be a benefit is this correct?

What do you suggest I do, please. 

Thank you 

Bill

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• 3 weeks later...