IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

+1 for Bach. For me, Bach's music is very much Duke Ellingtons's statement " There are two kinds of music...". Just did a beauty contest between different versions of BWV848 (WTK), I am convinced invented the blues and the rock' and roll.

> I listened to Hewitt (first version), Tureck (BBC sessions). Pollini, Janssen, Fellner, and, my desert island disk, Richter.

Despite my Bach-addiction, there are loads of music I do not want to be without. Listened today to Bruckner 7 (Wand, BHP, Phil Spector's Wall of Sound sounds a little bit flimsy after listening to Bruckner ...), Schubert (Leonskaja), Dino Saluzzi. 

Now listening to Coltrane/Johnny Hartman (talking of a classic album :-).  

Happy listening!

• 2 weeks later...

I do like that approach. If I a piece of music really touches me, I like to listen to different performance of the piece (i.c. Bach's works for solo instruments, Bruckner, Mahler and Beethoven symphonies, Beethoven piano sonatas/string quartets, Janacek/DSCH string quartets) .

I do not pretend " to understand the composer better" or " the music better" when I listen to different versions, but I like to hear the music from - how should I say it - from a different angle. Surprisingly, I do not develop a preference for a certain performance, which version I choose, depends on my mood. But, I do develop a dislike for some performances (i.c. Ratlle on Mahler (still regret buying his fifth, utterly waste of money), Rachel Podger on Bach).

BTW, this thread is not good for my budget, just ordered Schumann string quartets (and som more discs) :-). Many thanks for all the suggestions, gave me lot of pleasure reading the info/reviews of the various  recordings.

And now enjoying a very good pint of Rochefort and Wayne Shorter's Speak no Evil (present from my son :-)). Happy listening! Kind Regards, WAM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are so many nice Beethoven recordings. I really like Gilels (was a present from my late mother-in-law, is has a quite an emotional value). My other default choice is Kempff. For some reason I prefer Kempf above my other sets (Gulda, Brendel, Barenboim, Kovacevich). Must say I like Uchida in the late sonata's. Spoiled for choice, I am afraid.

Now listening to the Allman Brothers ... 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello Sphinxsix, Welkom in Nederland :). (But why Amsterdam ... avoid it... expensive.. tourist trap... hardly Dutchmen, only foreigners... order a pint in Dutch and you must be happy to get a glass of water...).

But on topic now.This tread is about essential classic albums, n'est ce pas?

I recently bought Rosalyn Turecks WTK (the 50's vision, I already had the BBC-recordings). In the box was also he 90's version of the Goldbergs. Wonderful. (But what's puzzling me: why a 50's WTK and a 90's Goldberg in box?) 

tureck.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...