IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

Yet another sticky.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Ryelands,

How come you hardly ever post over hear at CA?  Haven't you tired of trying to reason with the same few bickering individuals at AA? xD

I don't actively browse there much anymore, but I've read hundreds of your posts over the years.  Might not always agree, but you are always reasonable never nasty (that I can recall :o).  Think you feel right at home here.

On the topic of star-quad DC cables:  I've been custom building and including a heavy gauge (Belden 9418) piece with Oyaide plugs with our 5-7 amp JS-2 for close to 4 years.  All the interconncts we did at Hovland Company (the famous Music Groove 2 tonearm-to-preamp cable and our G3 line-level cable) were star-quad designs, so I naturally gravitated in that direction when planning the DC cable to offer for the JS-2.  I was more fixated on having it be heavy gauge, but John and I did discuss the known lower inductance at the time.

Anyway, hope to see more of you around here soon Ryelands. (BTW, my wife's last name is Rylands.  Not quite the same spelling, but her research showed that all the permutations traced back along similar European lines.)

--Alex C.

I'm still hurting from having not noticed this local sale til too late -

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/101560-sold-fs-hovland-music-groove-mg-2-phono-interconnect/

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I'm staying away from AC power cables. The shielding technique is universal, but whether it makes any difference on a AC mains cable I have no idea, I'm not going to make any guesses, and I'm probably not going to be doing any testing any time soon.

Now that that is out of the way, the power cord that makes the most sense to me is the VH Audio flavor 4. I don't have any, no experience, no tests, just based on my current thinking about cables this is the closest to what I would build myself.

John S.

Checked this out - as per the V H Audio blurb,  I do have a high current amp.

Flavor 4 PC 4 ft - Aussie Rhodium Male - 20A Rhodium Furutech IEC FI32

$535.

Hmm, value ... dunno. Currently using Supra LoRad 2.5 or Cawsey Audio.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that 'external wire' the same concept as on my Curious usb cables?

• 2 weeks later...

/& what might be where "long" starts?

/& what rules apply to 'unbalanced' interconnects?

Just to continue with clarifying quesions ...!

16 hours ago, Cornan said:

I got these delivered yesterday. The Canare 4S6 and Valab silver star RCAs.

IMG_6121.thumb.JPG.1bbdb34a125c3c83217fcf071052614a.JPG

They will serve as a phono cable for my Ariston RD40 turntable. I will sacrifice my Entreq Eartha Cupper grounding cable and use it as a ground wire.

26180200-origpic-a800d5.thumb.jpg.6c3bc4c258394a5de00312708411d5f9.jpg

Well, yes, that's a thought - there are 'improved' phono cables out there for my SME 20/2A (V arm), but they are hellishly expensive.

Are such possible with this new cabling approach?

• 5 months later...
On 17/12/2017 at 8:09 AM, JohnSwenson said:

OK, really quick and dirty primer. (not terribly accurate, no formulas, but hopefully gets the idea across)

Resistance is a property of conductors that tends to impede the flow of electricity. Resistance is usually defined as a DC property. It is measured in ohms.

Impedance is a frequency dependent equivalent to resistance. It is not a single number, it is of the form: ohms at a specific frequency. You can either specify it at specific frequencies or have a graph that plots ohms VS frequency.

Reacatnce is much more complicated, it is what gives rise to impedance. There are two types of reactance: capacitive and inductive. Capacitive is created by electric fields and inductive is created by magnetic fields. They behave oppositely to each other, at a given frequency increasing inductance increases impedance, increasing capacitance decreases impedance. For a given value of inductance increasing frequency increases impedance, for a given value of capacitance increasing frequency decreases impedance.

Every real circuit has a combination of resistance, inductance and capacitance. It is the interplay between these that give rise to how circuits behave.

The reality is way more complicated involving phase as well, butI'm leaving all that out to cover the very basic properties.

John S.

Appreciated, John  - ‘q&d primers’ are what I need, so feel free to drop them in regularly ...!

/& I do need to re-read them regularly, whenever the terminology re-presents, to minimise my getting confus-ed ...

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, mozes said:

Thanks John, my AC cables are not shielded, so will try the JSSG on a

couple of cables.

/& of course, provide pics with descriptions!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

/& what’s the best of the Gotham ethernet cables, in preparation for the Eregen ...?

• 4 months later...

Cost differential? .... for when it turns up at Ghent!