IGNORED

I just bought a Bose product and really like it, does this get me banned?

As I'll switch to an IPhone 7 soon and Inspired by the Travel Headphone thread I just bought a pair of Bose QC35, to get bluetooth capability. 

I compared them in store to the Sony and Sennheiser noise canceling headphones in the same price range, and the noise cancelling technology was so much better, I went for Bose. 

And surprisingly, in spite of them being from Bose AND wireless, the sound is more than decent. 

Granted, my HD800 are from a different planet, but I find them reasonably balanced and resolving (and unlike the Senn NC, not too bass heavy. They manage at least not to screw anything up too badly. 

As the icing on the cake, they are really surprisingly comfortable!

I can fully recommend them!

Writing this from my first long distance train ride. Still impressed by the noise cancelling skills of this device, and while SQ isn't brilliant, it's certainly good enough for my travel needs. 

This is also my first wireless experience and I'm very please to see that you can connect to two Bluetooth devices in parallel. Currently streaming the Matthew Passion from the Qobuz app on my iPad, but still able to pick up calls from the IPhone that is connected as well. 

The bluetooth range is also quite impressive, I can easily walk around quite a bit without losing connection. 

Have checked autonomy yet but the battery seems to go down very slowly so the claimed autonomy of 20h may even be realistic. 

The only drawback I see so far is that the battery cannot be changed by the user. Let's see some years down the line what happens when the battery reaches the end of its lifespan. Wondering how Bose will deal with this. 

Just off my first flight with the QC35. 

I'm amazed. The capacity of filtering the engine noise is really spectacular. 

I really start to appreciate the cable free aspect of Bluetooth. 

And finally, the set works well for phone conversations. 

I fully echo WWaldmans comments above, and apparently the 35 are even a step up in NC compared to the 25. 

And thanks Wgscott for the spyware note. I'll get rid of the app. 

6 hours ago, PorkChop said:

I'm "auditioning" Sony MDR-1000x for my very noisy company workspace.  Based on reviews, I thought I'd like them.   But put into practice...not impressed with the SQ (even corded).  Might as well use closed HPs I actually like and keep volume high enough to drown out yakkers.

I did compare the Sony directly to the Bose, and you see what I ended up buying. I wasn't impressed with the SQ of the Sony either. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dalethorn said:

That's interesting.  My QC35 was terrible in moderate (15-20 mph) wind, with maximum noise canceling on.

The new firmware specifically mentions windy conditions:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/QC35-Firmware-Update-V1-3-2-Available-June-22nd/td-p/56833

4 hours ago, miguelito said:

Which Sony? The MDR-1000x is pretty good. I also like the sound a little better. Plus it doesn't get me banned from this forum.

Yep, that one. I wasn't fully convinced sound wise. The Bose clearly has a "manufactured" sound but I still preferred it to the Sony. Maybe it was just the better NC in the noisy store. 

4 hours ago, miguelito said:

Pretty hard to compare these two at a store in a few minutes, frankly! :) Regardless, I think they are more alike than different.

Also, I have another reason to prefer the Sony: I have a Sony ZX2, which has LDAC - a high resolution bluetooth implementation. So for me in particular the Sony is a better fit.

Now go back to discussing music because your equipment credentials have been revoked! ;)

Agree, I didn't do a very scientific comparison, and obviously not A/B blind. 

Doesn't matter, I'm very happy with my choice, in fact wearing them right now while traveling. 

Plus, at that particular shop the Boses were around $70 cheaper. 

Agree, back to music now. 

• 3 weeks later...