IGNORED

Formatting ssd?

jky999

I'm on the verge of turning my iMac into either a better machine or an expensive paper weight. And judging by the following question, the paper weight is the likely outcome. Does one have to format a ssd? I'm about to put an 80 GB Intel X25-M SATA II ssd in the iMac. In various forums I've seen both "yes" and "no" answers. Also, I got SATA II rather than SATA which was a slight oversight on my part, but I thought that they're backwards compatible, right? I also figured that the SATA to SATA II jumper might make things a little easier because I've heard and seen in the various on-line videos documenting this that the cable connecting the hd is a tight fit.

Thanks for the help.

Digital:  SonicTransporter I5 powered by Uptone JS-2,  Ghent Ethernet throughout, Ultra-Rendu's, Ghent DC cables, Curious and Ghent USB

Living Room:  Rethm Trishna, MicroZotl2, Auralic Vega, Rel E112 sub (High Fidelity ic's, DIY pc's and speaker wire from VH Audio)

Office:  Chord Hugo2, Feniks Essence, Rel 218, Noble Kaiser Encores, PM3

It's very important to properly initialize a drive if you want to be able to use it as a startup drive.

Most drives come set up for Windows, and while they'll generally work with the Mac, they won't work properly as startup drives.

A "partition scheme" is the low-level on-drive stricture that is used by the OS to find the "volumes" (the "drives" that appear in Finder—a physical disk can have one or more) on a physical disk. There are three different "partition schemes" that can be used on the Mac:

Master Boot Record—this is the partitioning scheme used by Windows, and how most drives are shipped.

Apple Partition Map—the original partitioning scheme used by the Mac, required for Power PC based Macs.

GUID (aka GPT)—the new partitioning scheme used by Intel Macs.

So, here's what you should do with a new drive.

Note: partitioning normally erases a drive. If you have a drive that's using the wrong partition scheme, iPartition, from Coriolis Systems, can change the partition scheme without deleting the data, and can also repartition drives with data in place.

Start Disk Utility (it's in /Applications/Utilities)

Select the external drive hardware in the sidebar.

You must select the drive hardware, above any existing volumes, or the Partition tab will not appear.

Click the Partition tab

Use Disk Utility's controls to divide the drive as needed, even as a single large partition. Use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type and name appropriately

Click the Options button

Choose the proper partition scheme (GUID for Intel macs, Apple Partition Map for Power PC) and accept the page

Click Partition.

That's all there is to it!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Thanks so much for the information. I greatly appreciate this.

Joe

Digital:  SonicTransporter I5 powered by Uptone JS-2,  Ghent Ethernet throughout, Ultra-Rendu's, Ghent DC cables, Curious and Ghent USB

Living Room:  Rethm Trishna, MicroZotl2, Auralic Vega, Rel E112 sub (High Fidelity ic's, DIY pc's and speaker wire from VH Audio)

Office:  Chord Hugo2, Feniks Essence, Rel 218, Noble Kaiser Encores, PM3