IGNORED

Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary release

http://bestclassicbands.com/beatles-sgt-pepper-super-deluxe-4-4-17/

the interesting part to me is that it includes a REMIX from "original master tapes". Don't know what that means, exactly, in the context of Sgt. Pepper and all of the recording with tracks "bounced down" onto one of the tracks on a 4 track tape, but I think a modern remix is a good thing.

Hopefully it will be the first of the remixes of the rest of the catalog. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Obviously it is partially a money grab.

But I'm in favor of using modern techniques to remix. I bet there will be lots of detail and certain textures that will be audible on the remixes that aren't clear or audible on your LP's. 

Certainly the stereo mixes from 67 are far from perfect, and weren't done with the Beatles themselves, so I don't see any reason not to try to get a better result with the aid of 5 decades worth of understanding of how to do a proper stereo mix. 

Doesn't mean the new remix supplants or is better than the original. It's just using improved tools to try to hear/listen to the original tapes in a way that couldn't be done before. If it is truly iconic and great music, don't we want  a chance to hear "everything" on the tapes?

For me it will just add another perspective, another layer of understanding and insight into the music. 

Hopeully it won't be volume crushed....

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

The last two Beatles albums (Hollywood Bowl and 1+ were around DR  9 or 10. Unfortunately, that's what I'm expecting here, too.

Maybe not. Maybe even if it is, the high res will be less compressed.

I would love to hear this in 5.1, don't know if I ever will.

If you read about the Beatles recording process (try "Recording the Beatles") they used "limiters" (read compression) on just about everything. But the overall results don't sound unnatural or compressed - there's plenty of dynamics. 

However, compressing individual tracks when recording  is different than taking a finished mix/recording and volume compressing it so you get something "louder", with the resulting flat wave forms.

I thought the 2009 stereo remasters of the Beatles sounded very good. They used a little compression to give the albums a more modern sound, but not so much as to ruin them. The mono releases didn't have any compression added to them. Since they supposedly are remixing Pepper from 4 analog tracks, I can hope they will be similarly "respectful" of the original sound and use no or just a little added compression....At least on the hi-res...

Wasn't going to do this, but couldn't resist and pre-ordered (original idea was to wait and see it price for the big box goes down).

Only $186 with overseas shipping (door to door) and taxes...

There's a reason this stuff keeps getting released - we buy it and pay a premium.

Wait for the Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album and Abbey Road box sets....

50 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Well, the 50th for RS and Revolver are long passed, but I guess if this box set is a hit, there's always some anniversary that can launch the others.

How much do you want to bet me they find an "excuse" for them? :D

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, that gives me hope I'll think my $150 for the deluxe set won't be a waste.

It seemed to sound pretty good, even on my iPad. I like that in the stripped down version you can really hear the playing, especiallly Ringo.

There was another release of the remix of "with a little help" on YouTube.

Also this, with Giles Martin: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/giles-martin-talks-about-his-new-50th-anniversary-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-stereo#peOQoosrcEDaWzcD.97

I like the description of what he tried to do with the remix. Sounds promising.

And if MF thinks it sounds great, that means something, when he's writing about the Beatles and this album (he's heard the master tapes at Abbey Road).

BTW, or those who pre-ordered, price at Amazon for deluxe box set has gone down from $150 to $118. Starting to be a more normal price for a 6 disc box set.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pvpj1#play

Giles Martin interviewed on BBC radio about the album, with some excerpts. It sounds different even in the streaming version. 

Interestingly, he talks about how many of the songs were played "live" for the basic instruments, then they went back and did the numerous overdubs.

He also mentions how they used some of the the individual track tapes in the remix, for example the crowd noise. The original piece of tape was something George Martin had used in an earlier comedy album he produced.

He also mentions that the limitations of mastering for crappy turntables in the 60's meant they really had to guard against the bass making needles jump out of the tracks. So bass was way reduced. in the remix, without this limitation, he says they made the drums in A DAY IN THE LIFE much louder, and this is probably what would would have been done if the album was made today. McCartney - and of course Ringo - approved. 

My box set is shipping Friday. Pretty excited.

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

Vinyl or digital discs?  Discounts announced today from Elusive Disc!  US$125 for the CD/DVD/Blu-ray set....yikes!  US$33 for vinyl.

Digital set. Its $118 at Amazon.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/the-beatles-sgt-peppers-50th-anniversary-giles-martin-interview-abbey-road-studios-a7755141.html

Interview with Giles Martin. Some ineresting comments. e.g. seven remixes of "A Day in the Life" till they were satisfied. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/25/beatles-sgt-pepper-50th-anniversary-edition-review-lonely-hearts-club-band-remix-album

It’s all beautifully done, as you might expect: few organisations part fans from their cash with such good taste and elegance as Apple Corps. 

Positive review, but a little British humor is a good thing.

Got a hold of a copy of the CD (my deluxe box is shipping today)

DR for the original 13 songs: 8. 

Not what we'd want. 

The Mono CD remaster from 2009 (no VC added) has DR of 11. 

I like the mix itself. Not the loudness.

Hopeully the hi-res won't be as compressed.

31 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Bummer!

It actually sounds good. The mix brings everything out clearly.

It does actually sound like a stereo version of the original mono.

It is a little more compressed than I'd like, but not too terrible.  I hope the hi-res is a bit better.

I know that one of the changes in the remix is making the drums and bass more audible, as record production in the 60's necessitated dialing down the bass. I'm wondering if this alone could account for most of the difference in the DR.

Just read the DVDs in the box set have copy protection. Does that prevent us getting a rip of the the 24/96?

BTW, the more I hear this remix the more I like it. Hopefully the hi-res is even better.

8 hours ago, new_media said:

Essentially all DVDs and Blu-rays have copy protection. The ripping software has to decrypt them first. I'll be having a go at the Blu-ray tonight.

If you can let us know the DR of the 13 original album tracks of the hi-res.

Okay, at the Steve Hoffman forum word is that the CD and hi-res have the same DR, i.e. , the CD is just a down sample of the hi-res. Supposedly the 2017 vinyl remix has less volume compression.

On the bright side, I do like the remix. It isn't squashed, just a bit more volume compression than I'd like (see below)

I guess I can always get a rip of the vinyl version. 

Below is opening track, DR=8/

sgt pepper.PNG

anyone heard the vinyl yet?

38 minutes ago, Jud said:

Been considering this, and I'm thinking that maybe it's as simple as having more bass and drums raises the average loudness of the tracks and thereby lowers the DR measurement.  Whether this is how the guys really, really wanted it to sound but were held back by the capabilities of vinyl, or whether the vinyl was how they wanted it to sound and this is just a chance to pump up the volume, who knows?

Yes, that occurred to me too, especially as he bonus tracks (with sparse instrumentation) have much higher DR. But in actual listening, the tracks do seem a bit too loud, not just due to the bass and drums. 

I like this remix a lot. My only criticism is that the added volume compression should have been about half of what it is.

I'd love to hear a similar remix of Rubber Soul and Revolver, to replace the crappy stereo  mixes they we're given in the 60's.

I've now listened to the new mix about 20 times and also compared it to versions in mono and stereo from 67, 87, 2009, and 2014 (rips of mono LPs). 

The more I hear it, the more I like it.

I think it only adds to the album. I do wish it had a bit less volume compression,  but I think it sounds fine. And I haven't heard the hi-res yet.

Okay, finally got my box set. I only have DVD playback ability, not BluRay.

When I open the DVD in DVD Audio Extractor, I only see LPCM files in 24/48.

Aren't I supposed to see 24/96? Or is the 24/96, as it seems, only on the BluRay Disc?

I guess I can always find a torrent download of it.....