IGNORED

Giant Black Things in my Living Room

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Thanks - I am using my old Sunfire right now.  I have been watching @Johnseye comments on amps in his Ref speaker thread, and am going to start an amp thread separately soon.

But first I am going to let my relatives finish their listening evaluations:

monolith with monkeys.jpg

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of your new Maggies.  How do they compare to your 1.7's?  Did you audition any other speakers in your evaluation?  Also looking forward to your amp audition.

• 5 months later...
48 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

In all fairness, the co.s are close to each other.  Maybe you should arrange some factory tours on a road trip to Minn.???

It isn't far from you, and you could eat some small fish soaked in lye... or "hot dish"!  Apparently, they live off of those two items.

Do you recall my first impressions of the ARC pre?  I said I understood why you liked it with your Maggie's. They both have a sound signature of a large soundstage.  What's even more interesting is that the Atma-sphere MP-3 preamp has a very similar signature. More so than any other pre I've heard. Guess where they're located. 

I briefly lived in a city close to ARC. You don't want to go outside for 6 months of the year. Perfect for indoor sports like home audio. 

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

don't forget the tiny mini-sodas for which the state is named

or the lack of words in sentences, such as "Gotta go store" instead of saying "I must go to the grocery store" *

* courtesy of a story one of my former grad. students used to tell about his wife, a native Min-Sodaian

You forgot the obligatory sentence ending eh. Gotta go store eh. 

On 9/13/2017 at 5:02 PM, Ralf11 said:

Thanks for the setup re treating a room for resonances and reflections!

here is how Audio Research Corporation tests their expensive tubey electronics before shipping:

Magnepan 20.7 speakers in Warren Gehl's listening test room at the ARC factory_9.jpg

Found this video.  You get a tour of their facility and the room with the Maggies.  This is part 2 of 2.