IGNORED

which quality USB cable to consider?

13 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

No, the topic was to recommend a reasonably priced, quality USB cable. And it's appropriate to recommend a cheap, well-made USB cable if one recommending it hears no discernible differences with the higher-priced models. Just because you have a different opinion doesn't make you right.

Here's the one that I've been very happy with, carrying DSD512:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BXPQF2/

I've gone through a few cables and extenders, and even made my own custom cables by separating power and data. I can't hear the difference between these, except for a few very poorly made cables that produce obvious clicks and stuttering due to data loss.

The best "cable" I've yet found is the USPCB adapter UpTone throws in for free with the ISO Regen.  I believe at some point they plan on offering it separately in the twenty/thirtysomething dollar range.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Jud, that's just a small adapter, right? You'll still need a cable to go with it. As I understand it, the point of this adapter to provide impedance matching or is there something else?

You don't need a cable if you can position DAC and computer next to each other, but otherwise yes.

I don't recall if there's anything else it's supposed to do correctly besides impedance matching.

Speaking purely of my non-blinded subjective experience (whatever if any credence anyone wants to give that; I claim no golden ears or particular objectivity), I preferred it to a $135 cable I had for years, which in turn had replaced a $275 AQ Coffee.

I absolutely don't care to have this be the subject of arguments between folks on the forum.  I make no claims at all beyond listening non-blinded and feeling it sounded better than what I had.  Consider or ignore it as you like.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.