IGNORED

G5 Lynx Drivers

rlodad

Hi to all,

I'm hoping for some help. I have a G5 Powermac with a new Lynx AES-16 card installed and am going to use it to drive my BADA. I am sure I saw Chris recommend the Lynx drivers for the standard PCI Lynx card in a G5 here somewhere, but I cannot find the post. I know for the PCIe version in a Mac Pro the new drivers are recommended, and that for the PCI card in a PC, the legacy drivers are recommended, but what about for the standard PCI card in a G5? I saw someone post (sorry I can't remember who it was) that they thought Firmware revision 1 was best with software update 42? Also, Chris alluded to a program to remove the installed driver, and install the legacy driver- what program is it? Where can it be found? Do you need to install a PPC driver and/or firmware as the Lynx manual says the card is pre-installed with windows firmware? Chris, if you're out there, what do you use/recommend? Also, I have OS X 10.5 installed with my itunes library and application. I found my 10.4 (Tiger) disk and want to install that, as the sound is supposed to be optimal. Any way to install Tiger and remove Leopard without losing my iTunes and library? Chris, help me with this one, and I promise I'll vote for CA as product of the year...

:^)

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the epic post.

Brad

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

"Chris, help me with this one, and I promise I'll vote for CA as product of the year"

Oh how can I resist such an offer :~)

Here is a screenshot of the About Lynx Mixer screen on my Mac G5. As you can see the firmware I'm using is not available on the Lynx site as OS X firmware, but is available as Windows firmware. I installed this firmware when I used the card in my Windows server and haven't changed it. It's possible I should really be at version version 21a as that's the oldest firmware version available for Macs. Anyway, I created a little package for you here in a Zip file. It includes:

A. Lynx 20.0 firmware that I'm using on my G5. This requires a PC to install.

B. Lynx 21a firmware the oldest Mac version available.

C. Lynx 47 drivers that I'm using on my G5.

D. DesInstaller 2.0.1, the program Lynx recommends to uninstall its software before upgrading.

Click here to download

Good luck, let me know if you get stuck :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks a million, Chris.

Don't worry, I'll let you know when I mess it up. BTW, any plans for a gallery area on CA? I'd love to see how all these implementations look.

Brad

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

In case anybody reads this, since this will probably be the last post, Chris' Lynx software version 47 apparently works with Firmware revision 20 for PC, but does not work with Mac Firmware 22. With Mac firmware 22, use version 42. It is accessible on the Lynx historical drivers page.