IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the feedback. Going from a wide screen to this is kind of tough, but nearly all readability studies suggest this is the sweet spot with respect to number of characters and line length. 

I'm looking into the font size.

But aren't most of the readability studies done on the general population - which I guess we aren't.

- Richard.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

Is there a setting somewhere that gives a way of getting notifications without the accompanying audio ping - i.e just onscreen notifications?

- Richard

Ah sorry

ignore that. I found it.

- Richard

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

4 minutes ago, SamuelTCogley said:

Hi Chris

Thanks for all your work on this!  I'd like to add my voice to the others that the new format is too narrow for desktops.  I'm sure it's ideal for phones and tablets, but isn't there a way to have it look at the User Agent string and give a wider presentation for a desktop browser?

+1

Keeping the left margin with the avatars, and the right margin with the adverts fixed and having the central section with the text flow according to window width would be good. Also, I personally find the black on white colour scheme a bit harsh - I'd prefer a gentler background than pure white.

- Richard

Are the notifications working correctly? I was up-to-date with this list, but then got a message saying there were 7 new items, but on refreshing the page there was only one.

And just after submitting the above it said 9 new messages, when mine was the latest one

I don't know if this is just a personal preference, but I notice that when I scroll down the page the main menu (Home Forums Blogs Activity Store) stays at the top but the search, messages, notifications, etc. menu disappears. Personally, having scrolled down a page, I'm more likely to want to use the latter rather than the former.

I think there's a case for limiting the size of sigs. One I saw today was about 40% of my window height.

4 - 6 lines ought to be enough  - we don't need to know all the connectors people have on their cables 9_9

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Notifications are REALLY disruptive - thought I turned them off but they are continuing to interrupt my work..

Have you looked right down the page to the detailed settings? The save button just under the first group of settings does kind of give the impression that that's all there is, but there are detailed settings below that.

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Please check now :~)

Ah nice.  Thanks. It's all coming together nicely, using Firefox.

I notice, however, that with Chromium, clicking on my name doesn't get the drop down menu, but just reloads the current page.

I got the digest today by email. At the bottom it says:

"Prefer to stop receiving these emails? Adjust your digest preferences: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/followed/?filter=digest"

Clicking on this leads to a 'Manage Followed Content' page that says "There's nothing here yet" and a series of entries down the side. These seem to be headings and subcategories. OK, the headings are in bold, but I think they could be made a little clearer by indenting the subcategories a little, that might help the presentation.

My main issue with the page, though, is that it's not clear how to stop receiving these emails.

52 minutes ago, mansr said:

Speaking of the persistent menu bar, it's mostly a waste of space. I'd much rather see the bar with search, notifications, etc in its place. Those I actually click on from time to time.

+1

I made a similar point earlier

6 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Is anyone else bothered by the "What Thread is This ?" problem ??

I would be, except that in my case my browser (Firefox on Ubuntu) gives the window title at the very top of the browser window as the thread title.

What I miss is the ability to see a preview of each unread posting by hovering the mouse over the titles in the list of unread posts. This is particularly useful for new threads where the title of the thread is not informative.