IGNORED

Mqa-cd ??

This should be of interest to both guys who are currently buying CDs.

;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I must be one of those two guys because I currently buy 10-15 a month. However, I rip them and play them back using JRiver instead of in a player. Still.......

So have you met the other guy?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Kidding aside, I do buy CDs occasionally. For new music, this is when I can't find it as a (RedBook or higher res) download and/or at reasonable prices. For old music, again it can't be available as a download at reasonable prices, and it's either a "find" at the local used record and CD store, or filling in a missing part of my/my wife's musical history. If the latter, it may be used if the new version is a victim of the "Loudness Wars" (e.g., a couple of old Bob Seger CDs I purchased on eBay).

The last CD I bought new was in December, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, "I Had A Dream That You Were Mine." Before that, I bought the Wailin' Jennys "40 Days" and Alison Krauss' "So Long So Wrong" in November.

So long as you don't have to pay too much for it, the DCC version of Night Moves is worth the effort to find.

I would have had to pay too much, so the old regular CD version was just fine.

The claim is that the MQA master will be better than the original FLAC, because the ADC "blurring" in the original will have been corrected, even in the CD-quality playback. If you run the CD output through a MQA-enabled DAC, you'll also get the unfolding and DAC-specific deblurring, as well.

No comment on whether or not this is *actually* better*, but that is the reason for making MQA available on CD rather than just via streaming.

*PS - Of the MQA files I've listened to, I agree it *is* better, but that is primarily a matter of opinion ;)

I prefer (if same mastering) the non-MQA slightly. I should mention that as a rule I don't like minimum phase filtering, and it is possible the "de-blurring" filter used in MQA is minimum phase.

It can be argued that the bit depth reduction, when playing on a non-MQA player, is usually inaudible because it's below the noise level of most real-world recordings. It can also be argued that the "deblurring" is equally inaudible, so why go to all this trouble?

I suppose they'd be likely to agree with the former and argue with the latter - just a guess. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile