IGNORED

iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Computer Audio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Diana Krall released "Turn up the Quiet" which I was critical of being too sibilant, especially on the opening vocals. After re-visting the same tracks with the Galvanic 3.0/Micro USB3.0, that sibilant is gone , the album doesn't 'grate' any more. Technically the album is listenable in earnest.

Still wondering whether to add in the iDefender supplied with the bundle in the main system. The test system had a bit of trouble with clicks, but this was due to an out of spec Intona, the clicks are gone now.

There's audible difference with Idefender.. :)

41 minutes ago, rickca said:

Where in the chain are you using iDefender and what external 5V power supply are you using?

ifi ipower v5, the one that came with the bundle. i place it before the igalvanic so that the circuit on igalvanic can benefit from a separate power source.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, One and a half said:

iFI Micro USB 3.0 with Galvanic 3.0 combo

The Micro USB 3.0 was re-installed in front of the Galvanic 3.0 as originally installed. The difference wasn't night and day, the micro details were easier to distinguish now, that slight decay on cymbals was now longer and depending on the recording, the reverb was 'real' and engaging. Was enjoyable to listen to, piano especially, highly recommend Benny Andersson Piano.  My guess is the noise floor dropped to allow the details to be heard more effectively.

This would also mean the effect of the Micro USB 3.0 in combo with iPower2, drops the noise floor. The iPower2 'supposed' to be a bad power supply, well, is it? Now consider, the 120V AC source for the iPower2 is shared with a workstation, routers, switches, all manner of other IT rubbish loads warts and all without any conditioning equipment. If this was a cleaner AC supply with shielded DC cables, I might gain a few points of S/N, and/or add a SOTM USB card and clock, something under consideration.

how about the reverse where igalvanic is before the micro usb3 ? how does it sound in this arrangement? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2017 at 10:29 PM, richard kimber said:

I have a simple question: the two LEDs on my iGalvanic are lit and are a darkish orange.  I have seen pictures of other iGalvanics on the internet where the LEDs are green. What is the significance of the colours?

Should mine be green?

mine is 2 orange

3 hours ago, thuandb said:

Updates:  Just switched back to the following configuration,

Audiopc --> iDefender (powered by Nano USB 3.0 located farther down the chain) --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> iG3.0 --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> Nano USB 3.0 (powered by iPower and DC iPower) --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> iP2 --> DAC 

and this is the best sounding setup setup I have so far.

For the Idefender, it has better Sq being powered by nano instead of Ipower? 

11 minutes ago, thuandb said:

It worked fine until the USB 3.0 cable plugged into iP2 was replaced by uspcb.  No matter how I tried the ASIO driver didn't get loaded or recognized.  I'll try again later but going back to USB 3.0/iP2 again as the last link before DAC and it sounded splendid.

how about skipping the IP2 when using the uspcb? direct to dac. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

looks like i need some help... i have the igalvanic bundle with ipower and idefender... the idefender has failed on me for the 3rd time(no power when external power source is plugged in, although the external led is lighted up).anyone encounter the same problem as me? 

suspect something is wrong somewhere.. but can't pinpoint where.. distro suggest it could be due to system compatibility that is causing problem with some of the components.. end up exchange the whole bundle for micro iUSB.. maybe another time for igalvanic..

but damn.. i miss some of the improvements igalvanic together with idefender provides

On 31/10/2017 at 4:53 AM, thuandb said:

Updates:  Just switched back to the following configuration,

Audiopc --> iDefender (powered by Nano USB 3.0 located farther down the chain) --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> iG3.0 --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> Nano USB 3.0 (powered by iPower and DC iPower) --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> iP2 --> DAC 

and this is the best sounding setup setup I have so far.

Thuandb,

when you are testing iusb 3.0 -> IG3 -> DAC, did you use the idfender in between the iusb3 and IG3?

i'm just wondering if i will get the best path with iusb 3.0 powering IG3 direct. 

On 24/02/2018 at 2:07 PM, thuandb said:

Sorry to hear you have to part with the iG3.  I agree there's something incompatible going on, because it works well elsewhere.  In any event, I bet the iUSB3.0 will bring you nice improvements.  Please let us know how it goes, as I might be interested in upgrading from Nano.

Happy listening!

There's an interesting aspect to micro iusb3... it needs warm up.. it will sound substantially better after at least an hour being powered on..

my take on micro iusb3, it's has incredible dynamics, sound stage is wider and emotions from singers will draw you to the music...

for iG3, it's the accurancy of the tone, very realistic.. now i'm tempted to head back to get iG3 and stack them together... to get the ultimate...

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Bullitt5094 said:

@AMR/iFi audio which side of the Micro USB should the Galv Nano go? Before it or after it? I'm sure the answer is in this thread somewhere but I got tired of looking.

Just FYI, over the last month I've auditioned the Iso Regen, SoTM 200 Ultra, Mutec MC3+, SoTM USBexp, iFI Micro USB. I've also experimented with various combinations of the pieces between my music server and my Lyngdorf 2170 feeding a pair of Tekton Ulfberht speakers. Going in, I thought either the 200 Ultra or the MC3+ were the likely winners. Both those pieces were returned for lack of sound quality along with the Iso Regen. The Micro USB was the clear winner. and including the Sotm USBexp as the server output helped it along marginally. Again, I was shocked the Micro USB bested these more expensive and much heralded competitors. But hours of listening, including A/B testing with non-audiophile family members and friends, were very conclusive that the Micro USB was the superior performer in my system. Well done iFI and thanks for saving me all that money! Now I'm very interested in what/if anything/ the Galvanic Nano will add to the goodness we're hearing right now. It will be here tomorrow. The down side... it it works I'll have to buy yet another expensive USB cable.

Serious? Now u made me more determined to go and get igalvanic( plus Idefender)  to complete my ifi stacks.. Also do consider getting 3 Mercury 3.0 cables.. Those are worth half of your total investment..