IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

HQPlayer queries device capabilities and sets the default value accordingly. With delta sigma DACs you don't need to care about DAC bits, since there is no need for any restriction. Of course, you can also set an explicit value according to audio interface and DAC bit depth.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
2 hours ago, Miska said:

The one that was "avx2" previously, now doesn't have any extra strings with the build number. It is the one that is most typically used on both Intel and AMD CPUs.

The one that previously didn't have any extra strings is now called "intel". The "intel" one works from SSE4.2 upwards, but the performance is not great on newer AMD CPUs. It has support for AVX-2 and AVX-512 as well, but AVX-512 doesn't always improve performance due to clock rate limiting in CPU.

I see no such distinction for HQPlayer Desktop. I hope AVX512 will continue to be supported on Desktop platform.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

@Sunny_Player  In Matrix pipeline dialog If nothing is defined in a row (no Process and no Gain) then nothing is running.
For 2 channels set Process column only in the first two rows (for channels numbered 1,2) and leave rest lines intact.

38 minutes ago, Miska said:

2 channel users may still regularly need more than two pipelines.

@camott some examples for 2ch users where more pipelines are needed

5.1 to stereo https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/?do=findComment&comment=585860

stereo to binaural and 5.1 to binaural for headphone users: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/61330-stereo-to-binaural-for-headphones-how-to-setup-hqplayer-jriver-foobar2000/

Simply use only the first two lines (channels 1 and 2) for your simple 2ch setup and leave rest with Gain 0 and no Process.

@ZaphodStyle Discrete DAC means no DAC chip but discrete components used for D/A conversion.

https://www.tme.eu/ie/en/news/library-articles/page/51364/discrete-components-characteristics-and-examples/

A discrete component can be defined as a single part of an electrical circuit with one dominant function. It can be for example a resistor, a capacitor or a diode. Discrete electronic components can be passive or active. They are also different in the way in which they are mounted – they are designed as THT components or small SMD components.

The division into discrete and integrated components is mostly intended to separate singular components from integrated and hybrid circuits, inside which many different functions are usually performed.

In DAC world 'discrete DAC' relates only to D/A stage implementation itself. Other parts of DAC device implementation like USB and SPDIF receiver, remote control etc. are usually implemented with integrated circuits.

Discrete DSD DAC implementation examples are Holo DACs, T+A DAC 200, Gustard R26, Denafrip DACs, TEAC UD-701N.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Miska said:

It improves correctness of the output signal, explained here

Just the explanation is missing ... the link contains only PCM / DSD rates table for supported DACs. So I can only guess what that correction could mean. Does it mean that only the supported rates are provided for rate selection when one of those DACs is detected? Or something other? I see Gustard A26 lists only DSD rates where direct DSD works.

image.png.5759b9ca28f3109d26177ad35b18acf7.png

9 hours ago, Miska said:

At the moment I don't limit rate selection. But if you choose something else as output format than what is specified on that table, the correction is just skipped.

In most cases the DSD rates apply for both 44.1k and 48k base. But for Gustard, it is only 44.1k base, since the 48k-base doesn't work properly. (I'll ask Aapo to add a note about that to the table)

I omitted PCM inputs also for those pure DSD DACs, since I don't see much point in sending PCM from HQPlayer to those ones.

I'm sorry but you still didn't explain what the general word "correction" means in this case. Now I at least understand that the correction is not an automatic correction to set a working or optimal sample rate. To get at least some basic idea, please explain the areas where the correction is applied. If you would have a working D300 DAC in hands (I know yours is bricked), would you be able also to generate something like correction for it?

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Gato said:

HQPresets is a desktop application that lets you manage and apply presets.
Additionally, it
 includes a web page for applying presets via a browser, it is called HQPresets via HTTP.

If I well understand, HQPresets stores its presets on a computer where it is running and, when asked for, changes the settings of the chosen HQPlayer instance (local or remote) by means of invoking hqp5control (or maybe more directly using API). It looks to work on the level of changing settings using HQPlayer Client, just that it is more convenient if one wants to change more things at once. Assigning a name to a preset also helps in situations when one likes to listen to some album or concert with specific settings.

Although you announced it in Linux based thread, thank you for publishing also a Windows version. I will try it.

I was asking if it works like I described. :)

Just trying a Windows version. I was able to create a preset but please test the scenario when a preset name contains unexpected characters (I used bogi - default as preset name). After displaying a message cursor is lost in Preset name input box. After a minute or so cursor appeared again.

18 minutes ago, Gato said:

Could you download the Windows version again and see if it now works as expected?

Now it works as expected. Thanks!

@Apollo
Go in Windows Explorer into folder C:\Users\<YourWindowsUserName>\AppData\Local\Programs\hqpresets

image.png.9d72863daa09de60a06129228cf8fcd2.png

You can try to run HQPresets.exe directly by doubleclicking. If you observe any readable error message, try to catch it.

If no success to run it directly, check if the file HQPresets.exe is not blocked by Windows according to point 3 from:
https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-fix-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-error/

If that wouldn't help then try yet apply point 2 from the same link.

If still no result, check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXF9AH7PbhY

Last thing - try to add HQPresets.exe to your virus scanner exceptions.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Now if we can make the AirPods sound like the Sennhauser 800s then this will be a huge accomplishment!

I'm saying this only slightly tongue in cheek because this area of processing has the possibility of vast improvements in our ability to get "there" in terms of the live or in studio hallucination. I can actually here the differences in modulators and filters as opposed to various widgets.

DAC correction of course works on DAC level. It's not about addressing headphones response issues, so it's not about making headphones quality irrelevant or making one headphones sound like other.

If somebody does don't hear any benefit of using DAC corrections then there is no point of using them.

If custom headphone corrections were done based on measurement of the whole audio chain, then IMO the same appliers as Miska wrote about room corrections:

41 minutes ago, cpcat said:

I wonder if  @Miska would consider creating a separate room correction program that would create room specific profiles and easily then be loaded into HQP?

Miska wants to provide DAC corrections probably for more than 10 models of DACs and for each of them for multiple sample rates. That itself gives many tens of measurements.

Room correction is specific for concrete listening room (loudspeaker system) or concrete model of headphones.
Every room in loudspeaker system is different and there are specific tools available just for the purpose of creating room correction eq or convolution.

Similarly, every headphones are different and their acoustics depend on earpads used. And with IEM on eartips. There are already separate corrections available for many models of headphones.

So it is unrealistic Miska could deal with acoustic treatment - other tools and products are already specializing to these areas for years.

For those who want to apply (or already applied) custom headphone treatment, according to Miska, if the measurement was done as wide band and with the test signal at the same sample rate as as teh one used for listening, then such corrections cover the whole audio chain including DAC. As soon as input sample rate and the chain is kept as is, the corrections remain valid.

The point of using separate DAC corrections and separate headphone corrections is that DAC corrections are sample rate specific - they adapt to different input sample rates, so one headphone corrections would work with all sample rates supported by DAC corrections. At least that's my understanding, @Miska can confirm or correct it.

For those who apply general headphone correction eq, available for download or as an app from more sources, separate DAC corrections can be used together with headphone corrections.

Quite generally, since DAC corrections are within the price of HQPlayer, one can simply try what sounds better and if it is worth of additional computer load.