IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

33 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

@Miska Do these new authorization features have something to do with changes to "read" permissions on /etc/hqplayer folder after installing b1, or is that something I've done accidentally?

I guess it makes sense if the intended use-case going forward is that all modifications are done through the web interface. I'm comfortable changing permissions if I want to break the rules and make manual changes, just curious.

Yes, IIRC, it is intended to have hqplayer:root as owner and 0770 permissions.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

17 hours ago, bibo01 said:

In the web configuration it seems that NAA is noy setup properly: it writes ALSA device instead of its name. Obviously, it doesn't start.

Ahh, crap, sounds like a typical copy-paste bug. I was in so much hurry to get beta1 done before Munich... The web UI has number of other rough edges and missing things that need to be improved...

13 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

@Miska,

Any idea on why I get the _on_reload_signal error when updating the configuration via webui?

It may be a locale problem or something else, at least there's empty value for the fixed volume setting which may cause problems. I need to make sure it is not written out if it is not set... At least I didn't quickly spot any other potential things from there. You could try if removing that line from config makes it work (or setting it to desired value)...

6 hours ago, bibo01 said:

With the present license will it be possible to upgrade Embedded up to the beta version before v4 final?

If one has already license for Embedded v4, it will continue to work as before.

6 hours ago, bibo01 said:

At what stage will v4 license be necessary?

If one wants to have new license now... Licenses are now available from the web shop.

1 hour ago, bibo01 said:

If I buy a Linux Desktop license now, it would be v3.xx. Probably, an upgrade is needed when you release v4.

However, with the present license is possible to get a v4 license for Embedded which will continue to work.

Is this correct?

No, HQPlayer Desktop and HQPlayer Embedded licenses are completely separate and not related.

9 hours ago, bibo01 said:

I see...and also new price for Embedded.

Since when?

Since b1 version / public announcement of the 4.x version. Partically beginning of Munich High-End show.

People who got in early (who got Embedded license 4 from their Desktop license 3) are then lucky. As you said they are OK for Embedded v4.xx.

Yes, sometimes it is worth participating in alpha release testing... ;)

If, however, they request Embedded 4 license now, do they pay the full new price?

Yes...

4 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Another thing to file under utterly trivial, I wonder if it's possible to add the snippet of <head> code that would give iOS homescreen bookmarks a fancy Signalyst icon? 

If anyone out there knows how to accomplish this simply in the css, please do share. It's a bit beyond my meagre skill level. One way I've done this in the past was running a small http server on my machine to create a sort of local homepage with custom icons but that's a bit much for this I think. 

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is this <head> code you are talking about? :)

The page icon works, but the icon file is not yet included in the package. Will be in next release...

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cat6man said:

fyi...........beta3 works great and appears pretty solid with bubbleupnp

just wondering if anything new is planned prior to release?

I think basic web configuration support for (multichannel) speaker, convolution and matrix setup. And CUDA support... And couple of small non-visible things.

But overall, from playback functionality point of view, it should be pretty much release ready.

2 hours ago, arglebargle said:

@Miska 

Will the ability to invert absolute phase make it into the web UI? Only recently discovered its existence in Desktop so just curious :)

Maybe, it is part of the volume control functionality. Volume control over web is a bit nasty thing to implement...

I need to think about how to deal with some of the controls that are now in the Desktop version's toolbar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.6.2017 at 6:41 PM, mirekti said:

It's been some time so here I am again.
Anyone using Quadro P series? I have i-7700 and plan on adding P4000 for use with DSD512 and non -s filters. 
Any comments on this combo? Will P4000 run at max with this? I wonder if the fan of P4000 may become to loud if the card is ran an its max.

I wouldn't bother with P4000 until there's a proof it is any faster than GeForce...

The ASUS Strix-series GTX 1080 I have is pretty quiet and there's now a 1080Ti too. It's huge card though, so one needs to make sure it fits in the computer case.

On 29.6.2017 at 0:57 AM, mirekti said:

Will CUDA offload use graphic card's resources at its maximum?

In case not, P4000's fan might remain quite enough. I was also considering removing the fan of P4000 and use the case's heat sink on the opposite side of the CPU's heat sink. 

Depends on the settings... Unless it's faster than GTX 1080, it won't do poly-sinc-xtr to 512x, I don't know if 1080Ti can do it. So far only the only capable hardware I have is i7-6950X...

For something lighter and without convolution it probably does fine with something like 30% load or similar.

On 5.7.2017 at 8:50 PM, shadowlight said:

Crap, I missed a step in the guide which was the settings to copy the rygel.conf file that comes with HQPlayer E.  Will add it to the new list on things to update for the latest version of HQPe.

One small detail is that newer versions of Rygel require the HQPlayer D-Bus service name to be explicitly enabled. I'll post details once I'm back to the office...

On 4.7.2017 at 5:18 PM, trs said:

After a short time playing music (around 15 minutes or so, it varies),  hqplayerd throws a std:exception

If there's std::exception thrown, at least main() catches it and prints out the associated error message... If you run it as a daemon/service it is likely lost, but you could start the hqplayerd from terminal session instead and catch the output...

7 minutes ago, mirekti said:

One other (hopefully last) question, not sure if it makes sense or it is possible to do.
So, is it possible to somehow disable video output on Nvdia cards? The idea behind this is to use the motherboard's onboard displays and Nvidia card exclusively for CUDA offload. 

It should go disabled if you don't connect any display to the card. I have not tried such setup, but based on what I've heard it should work. Unless Nvidia wants to restrict use of consumer cards such way...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2017 at 5:34 AM, trs said:

@Miska: I started hqplayerd from a terminal session like you mentioned, but I still only saw this:

[/usr/bin/hqplayerd] (7768): std::exception

It did seem to happen roughly around 30 minutes or so. Are you sure it's not the time limit that is causing the exception? Thanks for your help. I would like to purchase at some point, but I want to make sure it doesn't crash first.

Ahh, if it happens every 30 minutes it probably is. The service file relaunches it.

Anyway std::exception is not a crash, was just wondering about the possible message (or lack of).

On 7/13/2017 at 6:23 PM, mvilla said:

Hi Miska,

Just a check in case I missed something: have you already posted more details about Rygel or not yet?

Thanks,

Massimo

Just got back from summer vacation travel...

With newer Rygel that comes with Debian Stretch (9.0) I have following in the user id's rygel.conf:

[MPRIS]
enabled=true

[org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.hqplayerd]
title=Listening

Needed this latter extra hqplayerd specific section to establish connection to the hqplayerd.

22 hours ago, trs said:

Hi Miska: please forgive my ignorance, but are you the author/developer of hqplayerd? If so, can you please check the code and confirm the std::exception is due to the time limit and not something else? If it is a timeout, I understand, but before I spend the money I want to be sure.

std::exception is used in various places for various error reporting purposes, that's why I asked about the possible message associated with it.

22 hours ago, trs said:

It may not be a crash, but the end result is the same (hqplayerd stops working). When it restarts, it takes a while for my control application to re-establish a connection which is problematic.

Trial version has the 30 minutes playback limit, it's annoyance on purpose... ;)

• 5 weeks later...
20 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Greetings @Miska & all. I saw b26 available on the Signalyst site and installed this morning without issue. I know there have been a few reports of tracks failing to advance with HQPlayer Desktop + Roon lately, but still no problem with that here. 

Any changes or differences in functionality to to look for in this latest beta? 

It contains couple of small bug fixes that I also made for HQPlayer Desktop. Nothing major...

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

@Miska

Greetings. Just installed 4.0.0b7-28 and have had a couple cases where switching sample rates in a Roon playlist resulted in pink noise or simply stopped playback, both with this error: 

! 2017/09/14 14:13:52 clHQPlayerEngine::Execute(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read timeout 2

Will report back later if I can reliably reproduce. 

There was a change in how the networking is handled. HQPlayer is now intolerant for poor network connections. So if there are too big delays in data delivery or data is coming in too many little chunks, HQPlayer gives up.

There are now two possible conditions for that error, I'll improve the logging by splitting out to two separate errors to see which condition is more likely to appear...

I have not yet seen this on my gigabit ethernet when playing from Roon running on Mac Mini (Sierra).

13 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

@Miska Interesting. Could slow intialization of filters be a factor? It can take my current machine 5 seconds to initialize non-2s DSD256 filters.

No, it is only about network socket timeout (select() call) in the data receive loop, and number of times network stack has returned less than expected amount of data (short recv() call).

I can adjust the thresholds if necessary, but if playback goes to stuttering due to poor network, there's not much point in keeping that going...

2 hours ago, cat6man said:

I got an error trying to set up authentication, no permission to write something (don't have message at hand right now)...........error was when i was trying to set username/password, i.e. the provisioning part.

Could someone please give more detail ('authentication for dummies') on how to do the provisioning?

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure of your setup, but first make sure there are no .xml files in /etc/hqplayer. Then restart hqplayerd (or the computer) and point browser to http://someip:8088/auth where "someip" is IP address of your HQPlayer Embedded machine. Then you can set the authentication username + password. From that point onwards, you can use http://someip:8088/config to configure HQPlayer Embedded using the set credentials.

Alternatively, when setting the credentials from command line, use prefix "sudo -u hqplayer hqplayerd ..." to set the initial credentials as user "hqplayer". Then you can restart hqplayerd, or the computer.

Fastest way to restart hqplayerd is to use "sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd" command.

4 hours ago, cat6man said:

Got it.  I had removed the .xml files from /home/.hqplayer but not from /etc/hqplayer

Not quite sure which location has precedence.

Can you remind me where the top level config file is stored now?

It is actually said in the documentation, $HOME/.hqplayer has precedence over /etc/hqplayer