IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Ted, I am very glad that you opened this thread where we can gather various information regarding Embedded.

At the moment I am not running NAA, but Piero of AudioLinux (hifi25nl) has confirmed me that A11 works with it. Hopefully, he will intervene here too.

Furthermore, we at NextHardware are going to start integrating Logitech Media Server (LMS) with HQP Desktop/Embedded. Work has started alrady, but SoX integration has taken priority.

It will be an alternative to Roon and MinimServer and it will have an interface to change HQP setting.

• 3 weeks later...
Her's a silly newbie Linux question re: AudioLinux....

I run mine via generic but decent Cruzer Glide 32GB USB thumb drive (alternating boots with Win10 on my SSD). Is this $30 USB stick platform worthy of running such a high end HQPlayer environment, given that the rest of my server is i7 6700k, Nvidia GTX960 CUDA, etc etc? Am I better off at least copying AudioLinux to a partition on my SSD? I have worked hard to get HQPlayer to a clean and powerful environment, but the inexperienced in me says it seems weird that I am running my OS off a generic USB stick.

BTW, I would go Debian if it included the plug-n-play type of GUI that Audiolinux gives me, especially as a newbie to Linux.

I have my AudioLinux installed on the internal HD. I used the USB flash disk to test, but I quickly swapped to HD.

BTW, the procedure is slightly complicated (it's not just copy from USB to HD) and you better be directed by Piero about it.

All upgrades are always "yaourt -S hqplayer-embedded". Usually Piero makes the new package available within a day on AUR.

Now there is a15 build available. Quite a bunch of fixes and improvements again. And one new feature; point your browser at port 8088 of the machine where hqplayerd is running to get to a status page where you can also change some active settings. Note! Those settings can be only changed when playback is in stopped state, in other cases any changes made will be ignored.

Web page is very simple and made such way that it scales for both desktop and even to display of iPhone 6.

May I suggest to concentrate on release of finalized and well documented official APIs. Release of web pages, APPs and whatever will follow by themselves.

Release of web pages, APPs and whatever will follow by themselves.

Mmm, no? Adding the current control web control feature took me almost two weeks. Then there's quite a bit more work to be done for configuration GUI. I understand editing the XML file is not particularly friendly way.

I meant, external developers can follow up quickly.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

I see HQPlayer trying to restart and it spits out the following error message:

"** (process:10659): WARNING **: _on_reload_signal: clString::ToDouble(): not a double" and I no longer have access to the web interface.  I see hqplayerd.xml file being created under the users .hqplayer directory.  If I stop the service manually and restart it I get the same error message.

hqplayer_web_config_error.txt

hqplayerd.xml

How do you have access to the web interface? I mean, in terms of password...

1 hour ago, Miska said:

If one has already license for Embedded v4, it will continue to work as before.

If one wants to have new license now... Licenses are now available from the web shop.

Sorry for asking...just to be clear

If I buy a Linux Desktop license now, it would be v3.xx. Probably, an upgrade is needed when you release v4.

However, with the present license is possible to get a v4 license for Embedded which will continue to work.

Is this correct?

5 hours ago, Miska said:

No, HQPlayer Desktop and HQPlayer Embedded licenses are completely separate and not related.

I see...and also new price for Embedded.

Since when?

People who got in early (who got Embedded license 4 from their Desktop license 3) are then lucky. As you said they are OK for Embedded v4.xx.

If, however, they request Embedded 4 license now, do they pay the full new price? 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, OlivierFH said:

Thanks for your help ! But I will wait a little bit to buy my licence... time is money !

Does anyone knows how to use convolution engine ?

Take your time. :)

You need to make a filter for each ch. You can measurements with DRC, REW, Acourate,...

Here there are two threads about HQPlayer convolution and its implementation (use Chrome to translate):

https://www.nexthardware.com/forum/pc-top-software/81480-hqplayer-introduzione-e-indice-argomenti-10.html#post886576

https://www.nexthardware.com/forum/pc-top-software/84215-la-convoluzione-di-hqplayer.html

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Greetings @Miska & all. I saw b26 available on the Signalyst site and installed this morning without issue. I know there have been a few reports of tracks failing to advance with HQPlayer Desktop + Roon lately, but still no problem with that here. 

Any changes or differences in functionality to to look for in this latest beta? 

b26???

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, mroerup said:

Hi Jussi and all you Linux HQPE-pioneers :D

I have been reading up on all stuff related to HQP Embedded for a while. However, I still haven't found an answer to my question, so here it comes...

Would it be possible to install the SqueezeLite software on the Linux machine also running HQP Embedded and route its output through the HQPE software? Essentially making a Squeezebox endpoint with advanced upsampling etc.

This way I could keep my existing LMS infrastructure with 50.000+ mostly Flac-files and all it's metadata sorted specially for the LMS-server. Building this music collection have taken me literally many hundreds of hours...

There are also many really fine remote apps for both iOS and Android available.

I haven't really understood if the HQPE appears as a soundcard/DAC in Alsamixer or how the routing of the signals between potentially ADC's, HQPE and DAC's works. Could one of you guys please enlighten me here?

...and a special thank you very much to Shadowlight for the fine HQPE guide ??? If it turns out that the SqueezeLite solution should indeed work, I think I could succesfully go through the Linux installation, using the guide.

Regards

Martin Roerup, Denmark.

For proper work with SqueezeLite one would need a special developed plugin.

As a matter of fact, I am working at it with a developer friend of mine and George from Sound Galleries.

HQPE is not seen as a soundcard. It can work as a UPnP render supporting standard MPRIS player control API, but it normally responds to HQPlayer Control API. 

1 minute ago, mroerup said:

Hi bibo01.

This sounds really interesting :D How far is this project? I would like to hear more...
The UPnP/DLNA to LMS bridge plugin (squeeze2upnp) might work but is a little bit disappoining...when I'm shooting at DSD256/DSD512.

Regards
Martin Roerup

We are setting it up. Once its ready to roll, with my developer's friend willingness, we will be looking for beta tester over here too.

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, trs said:

I'm trying out HQPlayer desktop/embedded on a Threadripper 1950X system but have noticed something strange.

In Windows when I run HQPlayer desktop and have the multi-core dsp checkbox greyed out, I can run poly-sinc-xtr at dsd 512 with no stuttering. When I look at the task manager, I see all 16 cores are roughly at 35-50 percent utilization.

When I run HQPlayer desktop in Linux and have the multi-core dsp checkbox greyed out, I get stuttering with poly-sinc-xtr at dsd 512, and I notice only around 4-6 cores are at a high CPU usage, with the rest being basically at 0 percent. When looking at the logs in Linux (for both HQPlayer and HQPlayer embedded), I noticed this line:

Number of processor cores: 4

Should that be 16 in the case of Threadripper 1950X? I have SMP disabled in the BIOS so there should only be 16 cores.

Are you using kernel 4.10 or higher for Linux?

• 4 weeks later...