IGNORED

Is it a crime - it sure is - SADE in HiRes

I have been a devoted fan since my teenage years when Diamond Life came out and I had it on cassette :-))

Anyway, all subsequent CD remasters of Sade's albums are worse than the previous ones. The recent (in Sade's terms} Ultimate Collection has the worse remastering of them all and is plain unlistenable. Some of the tracks in this Collection use different (inferior) sources than the official releases, which makes me believe that they either have lost the original master tapes or have some sort of legal issues that prevent them from using them. Whatever the reason, I am not holding my breath for any new remasters. We should consider ourselves lucky that the initial releases are actually quite good and simply enjoy the music.

Real HD would mean going back to the tapes or DSD archives...as close as possible to original recording like what we have here:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/feb/05/spine-tingling-lost-bob-marley-tapes-restored-after-40-years-in-a-cellar

If we are still talking about Whitney Houston in this Sade thread, there will never be worthwhile HD remasters as all her albums are actually recorded digitally.

• 3 years later...
On 2/10/2017 at 6:33 PM, wisnon said:

Besides, it could have been recorded and archives as 24/96 or DSD64 even if originally digital. All we have commercially is 16/44.

Look at the spectrogam posted by @jhwalker above - even if they were orginally recorded at higher sample rates, they must have been down-sampled and then up-sampled for the "HD" release, which is exteremely unlikely ... and not because it's stupid (stupidis fine) but because it takes time, effort and money and that's a definite NO from the record companies :-))