IGNORED

Article: Roon 1.3 Major Update Coming Today

Thanks ShawnC. This forum is always such a big help. As a beginner to digital I asked the wrong question. 

I am shopping for a digital music systems with the least computer involvement. 

So Media Servers. I just bought a Bluesound Vault but have never had a music software system on my iMac or iPad except Tidal. That is all I have besides the Dragonfly Red and a Cobblestone Muzo. The rest is old school.

Before I go for software such as Roon or other, I wonder what gear it is compatible with other than the computer.

I don’t really understand how to use any of these, which of them include NAS and/or DAC which I don’t have.

Would I be using Roon with these:

Bluesound Vault 2 which I already bought.

Other Media Servers I have considered include:

Sony, e.g. HapZ1ES

Melco N1A High Resolution Digital Music Library

Auralic seems to be a main one for Roon users. 

Naim

Marantz

Onkyo 

Cambridge Audio

Cyrus

Pioneer

Aurender N100H

Oppo 

Portable players:

Questyle

Onkyo

Astell&Kern

Sony

I am interested in another media server to use in a different location than the Vault. I believe Roon will work with the Bluesound Vault 2. Right? It has not arrived yet.  One problem is that there is only one internet modem and I have hifi stereo systems in other areas of the building. 

My only trepidation with the Bluesound is that it has to be wire connected to the wif modem so I cannot use it in other places not having the web modem. 

I plan to rip 1K or more cds to the Vault. Then learn to download online music. 

The Muzo I got to simply play internet music via wifi, including Tidal on a home hifi in a completely different area than the Bluesound will be set up.  I need a wifi streamer for that room. It is OK but not as good sounding as my LM 215 cdp.  I am thinking of getting a 2d media player to use instead of the Muzo. If I go for Roon, I would need a compatible media player.

Thanks for that info Shawn. The Bluesound just arrived and I am unpacking it.

I hope to use the iPad Pro as a control/remote for Roon. I got the max memory available. I don't know if the iPad limits the sound quality from the web to the BlueVault2. The Vault is hard wired to the wifi modem and the iPad of course is wifi. 

I did keep my older Mac and had planned to use it as a music device but it constantly asks for, and requires software updates. It is maxed at around Mac OS 7.8 or so and won't accept newer programs so I quit using it. 

I will look into the microRendu option too. 

It would be a pain to run ethernet in this old house, possible but I would rather not go to the work as I will be moving to a tiny house in a couple years.