53 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

You also don't need to spend £1000s on expensive LPSUs. I have one Teradak DC30W (£100) with modded caps that is outputting 8V and through 3 sets of dual in series boards is supplying my Aqvox switch, Iso Regen and Bluewave USB to Spdif board with Y cables.

Sweet sounds every night...:)

Thanks for these ideas.  So...I have two wonderful linear ps's that I'm not currently taking advantage of, but maybe they are too much power for what I need.  They are namely the Hynes SR3-12 (12V, 3A) and Hynes SR7EHD (can be dialed from 9.5V to 19V internally, something like 7a).   Can either or both of these be used, with y cables and dual series LT's to power any of my stuff like:

JCAT USB (5V)

Singxer SU-1 dc kit (5V?)

ISO Regen

Amber Regen

microRendu (currently not in signal path as I'm going direct for the time being)

I also have Uptone's JS-2 and the famous LPS-1.  I am having a tough time figuring out the best use of all this inventory with LT3045s.  I have one box coming from tubelover2 (thursday) that is 5V so thought I'd use it on the JCAT card with a rail from the JS-2 (5V?).  Any hep would be appreciated.  Larry has helped me get this far, which believe me, is far (for my brain).

2 minutes ago, elan120 said:

On a different note, from your list, I currently use LPS-1 on JCAT USB card, SU-1, and ISO-REGEN with very good result.

Three LPS-1s you mean, right?

Yes Bob made a 5V lt3045 box for me and I received it a few days ago. Yes he goes by tubelover2 on USAudiomart. There are a few choice threads over there

i have zero issues with him. His box and cables are nice (have since gotten a 5v board from Chris/forehaven). Will report on them once all is in place

22 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

today I replaced the incoming ceramic 47uf capacitors with a 1000uf ELNA Silmic on LT3045 1Ah,
and suddenly all dynamics were there, more 3d, more organic sound, better bass, more details
definitely sounds better,

:)

What made you think those 47uf caps were the bottleneck?  Can I send all my LT3045 boards to you??  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an interesting time with the LT3045s so far (thanks Larry, for the help).  They sound great on my SU-1 (5V driven from one rail of JS-2) and my USB card (5V driven from LPS-1) but this weekend when I added a 6V to the SU-1 in series, and when I added a 7.5V-to-6V (driven by other rail of JS-2) in series for my ISO Regen the magic went away.  I pulled those last two examples (ISO Regen one at a time), adjusted power supply ouput as needed, and the magic is back.  So none on IR, one 5V on SU-1 and one 5V on USB card. 

Did I not give them enough time (hours, then one full day) or am I hearing something anyone else has?  The magic I speak of is detail with timbre, and when it went away the whole thing got a little clinical, colder, less timbre/tonality, and just uninteresting.  Maybe I like distortion.......dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

What have folks found as the best way to stabilize these LT3045 setups, especially when in series and/or have dc adapters hanging off them?  I have found more than once having these unprotected in the pc case or even hanging off power supplies they can come undone, even though I have been somewhat diligent with tightening down the screw terminals, etc.

IMG_0262.thumb.jpg.70a9a31574a79a513428c89e28700466.jpg

Discussing with a few others I'm thinking bare PCB boards underneath, hot glued or something? 

6 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I have a bunch of these with an ISO Regen and Bluewave board in an aluminium case (see earlier posts) as I think it’s best to shield everything from emi/rfi. I’ve also got a dual in series pair for my switch in a small Hammond Alu case which is a good option for a pair of boards. Ends need drilling though for cables to go in. 

What kind(s) of case?  How do you get cables/connectors into each end?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Yeah, I have already forgotten how many times that I wanted a KISS! ?

If you are looking for a KISS, then CA is the LAST place on earth you are going to find it.  :)  (I could read about five meanings into that, and all of them would be right).  :)