IGNORED

microRendu and MQA

There seems to be a segment of folks here on CA and on other audiophile forums who have convinced themselves that MQA == DRM. The only thing I could say is - do your own research. The facts do not support that conclusion.

This would depend on how you define DRM. MQA encoded files deliver below CD quality who played back without MQA decoding, and MQA decoding is closed source requiring a licensed decoder only available in certain products. Because it is closed source, if you purchase MQA files, and you do not have an MQA decoder, you cannot access the content (excepting with sound quality loss). Sounds like DRM to me...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I think it would not be a good idea to buy MQA files. MQA is a fig leaf for the music industry. It gives them a way to offer, thru streaming, something like hi-res and do it using something like DRM. They can say that they are offering listeners a true hi-res experience without exposing the real high resolution master file to the stream of commerce where it would certainly be abused. They learned their lesson after the file sharing debacle and will not make that mistake again. They will never offer a real hi-res file of any commercially viable music. Maybe classical music recorded in an old church in Norway but not any artist that they can count on to sell in large numbers.

What! There already are hi res downloads available of lots of commercially viable music with no DRM.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

You must have a machine that prints money, take every available MQA track on Tidal and multiply by the cost of a hirez disc and then ad in the cost of a hirez dac. If you prefer DSD rock on but to me its not worth the $$$$$ to buy discs, dacs, and SACD players.

If you only get music from Tidal, then you will miss out on music which is not available there... Personally, I would probably not want to listen to more than 10% of the MQA tracks available on Tidal so your math makes 0 sense. I have nothing against streaming services if they serve my needs, but I would not, ever, rely on a streaming service entirely, as this limits my music selections.

SONORE computer audio

• 5 months later...