IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

32 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I did. You did not.

That was why they were pushing m-qanon, takes up less space AND less from streaming. They have both advanced. There is NOTHING superior about this tech. SOORY.

This is not a conversation defending them or comparing the tech to flac or being worried about storage. I’m curious if a file can contain both low res and high res both playable depending on how they are used.  Right now it’s close to possible and disagreeing won’t change the fact. 

6 minutes ago, botrytis said:

No. It is lossy or not. The fact that m-qanon is a lossy compression that is then compressed using lossless, like a zip file, that is both in one but mqa does not compress well, it is like putting a zip in a zip  - no compression will happen.

Today I watched the BlackBerry movie and I had to laugh when the guy said what they wanted to do was not possible. 

55 minutes ago, Jud said:

What it “was supposed to do” was pure marketing, so certainly MQA can’t be made to provide both a reasonable hi res layer and a reasonable lossless Redbook (CD) layer.

Could you do both these things in the same file with a non-MQA process? Sure, you would just have to figure out a means external to the music files that would select hi res or Redbook based on DAC capability.

That is irrelevant to me in this discussion. This is just a curiosity about what is possible. 

22 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, that was the second paragraph. Certainly you can package the two resolutions and compress them losslessly. For all I know the means currently exist to select the proper resolution based on DAC capability.

Now let’s chat about the white glove treatment:)

9 hours ago, Jud said:

Not happening except for the biggest artists because it’s too expensive.

I’m looking at this like the JVC process.

The gear is easy to measure and if you look at some of the gear out there some could any help they can get. We have tuning files for headphones…

9 hours ago, botrytis said:

I have only heard 2 pieces that were white glove converted - they were not better than the original to me, but I didn't listen to the BS the MQA person was shilling. They were louder than the original and seemed compressed.

I appreciate the feedback, but that is what they did. I’m looking at what can be done.