IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Just now, Sal1950 said:

My goodness, it a TELEPHONE bro,

Not your source for high definition music.

Just call someone on it.  LOL

It is far more which is obvious to pretty much everyone.  Bro.

I have an MQA Dac but it is also pretty obvious that if MQA is to succeed it will need to work from mobile devices.

37 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

So are you going to ditch your iPhone for an LG V30 next month? It is rumored to have MQA in the hardware. But as I have noted from MQA Ltd financial statements software decoding on phones will cannibalize revenues from hardware decoders. 

It is also obvious that for MQA Ltd to succeed it will need revenue. Do you see any places revenue will come from in 2017?

Software I expect will do the first unfold as Tidal does now whereas hardware does the full unfold.

I doubt very much that sales impact on full decoders is an issue.  Wider availability of MQA will do a heck of of a lot more for sales of full Dacs and would be welcomed.

2017 is more than half over.  

23 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hi Thomas,

The store you linked is Warner Brother's store, not Neil Young's. There are other stores for other Warner Brother's artists as well. Neil Young's store was Pono Music, which was shut down when Apple purchased the digital file vendor, Omnifone. Omnifone was immediately shut down and all employees fired. Apple fan-boys say that Apple wanted some key patents that Omnifone owned. Neil Young fan boys suspect the whole thing was a cheap ($11 million) way for Apple to kill off the only other company in the world that supplied all 3 components required for a successful music enterprise - players, downloads, and desktop player software.

Pono only sold downloads in the highest available resolution. They had a "Pono Promise" that if any album purchased from Pono were released in a higher resolution that they customer would receive it for free. I don't think that ever happened, however - not because of Pono but because the labels didn't release any new versions of existing albums during Pono's lifetime.

Neil's position was that all music should be the same price, regardless of resolution. I don't think the record labels felt the same - if there were any justification for making more money, they didn't want to leave any of it on the table.

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

I seriously doubt Apple felt that Pono was any kind of threat. It was bound to implode anyway.

5 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

You may doubt it the Board of Directors of MQA Limited does not. How is there going to be wider availability MQA music? What are you assuming that is not currently licensed to happen? 

I have no no idea why you are asking me. The three major studios have signed on to MQA and maybe they will make something of it and maybe they won't. Who knows. 

• 2 months later...