IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

14 hours ago, sandyk said:

At the suggestion of one and a half (Gary) recently, I made sure that the cases of my internal Samsung 860 Evo ( OS SSD) and 850 Music SSD had a VERY low measured voltage drop between their cases and 0 volts at the SMPS PSU itself when switched on.

As Gary found, doing this did result in an appreciable improvement in  apparent noise and Soundstage. even though both were powered by in my case , dual <4uV noise +5V supplies regulated down from the internal +12V supply

BTW, the typical LT3045 implementation does have a decreasing output impedance at >100kHz and may result in a little harshness /added HF detail due to this. Ideally it would also have a parallel considerably higher value NON Low ESR capacitor at it's output for this reason.

Dual +5V PSU for 2 SSDs.jpg

Thank’s , if I use again ssd in my set up I would seriously considered these points .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

14 hours ago, flkin said:

Do you have a way to buffer the data on the pc player side? Otherwise the data has to pass through the network again defeating buffering. 

Data are not buffered at the player which for me is an engineered ered dock card acting as an upnp player .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

• 3 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 8:24 PM, sunny_time_99 said:

With one neutron Star, a 20 Bucks mini fanless PC from Ebay you can build the NUC7i7/Euphony Killing device. Much higher resolution, higher dynamics, better music flow and definition of instruments. The step up in sq is higher than using a Buffalo switch, ER instead of not using it. If someone is interested, i can post it here. I am using that device for over 6 years now. for 2 years nuc/euphony was the better configuration. But with that clockmod, my actual psu and a freeware...i sold all my 3 NUC 7i7 that i got for comparison.

Please do , it seems very interesting!

• 3 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, Jonder said:

I have now upgraded my Buffalo switch using an L C Audio XO3 clock. The initial improvement was that one upgraded switch was equal to two stock switches in series. After 48 hrs of burn in the upgraded switch is now league’s away from stock.

The separation between instruments is much much better. The sound stage has grown in height and depth. Voices and instruments are much clearer with much more texture. Music with a heavy bass is very tight with more texture.
A very worthwhile upgrade. I will be doing the same upgrade with the other switch using the other clock output. I just wonder how much better the Pink Faun clock is considering the substantial difference in cost. I doubt it is worth it!

I will post photos and a description of how to do the upgrade in another post.

Thank’s ,  very interested in your tutorial on how to do it .

Jean-Michel