IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

20 minutes ago, Cooler said:

I wanted to try Nuc as roon server, but with surprise found, that all nucs are with 1 ethernet port. :(

Nobody mentioned that!

I wanted to connect it(nuc) to roon endpoint directly to eliminate any switch between.

Do you know guys nuc versions with two ethernet ports?

FitPC devices are fanless and can host up to 4 Ethernet ports. I think that some of the fitlet2 models are equipped with J3455 processors but please, check 

https://fit-iot.com/web/products/fitlet2/fitlet2-specifications/

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fitlet/comparison-fitlet-vs-celeron-intel-nuc/

for details. I have an old fitPC3 and built quality and reliability are very good.

2 hours ago, Cooler said:

It is too slow, according to romaz's findings, roon server should be powerful to provide lowest latency possible!

My option 3 needs big pc case, so i see optimal way to use usb-to-ethernet converter.

Have you checked the Intense PC series: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/intense-pc/? They are quite powerful devices. Which latency values are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to minimize the minimal latency, the average latency, the max. latency or something else? 

34 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Thanks.

Rob Watts has  shared a lot on the Head-Fi forum about how increased RF (from the digital source/chain) can cause increased IM distortion in the DAC and can be mistaken for more 'detail', bigger soundstage and more dynamics... 

This is not a knock on you at all but IF he is right in this case (we don't know, but he is an expert in this field) I wonder if you are hearing the results of increased RF and simply enjoying this perceived increase in detail for example?

From Rob Watts:

"As you know, RF noise creates noise floor modulation, as the intermodulation distortion from random RF noise is a white noise modulated by the wanted signal. This then results in noise floor modulation, and is very very audible. It accounts for the things sounding brighter and less smooth; additionally, when you reduce RF noise, things sound considerably warmer and darker, and one consequence of this is perception of tempo - more midrange gives the impression of a slower tempo, as individual instruments have much more body.

Now if somebody prefers the brighter sound from more noise floor modulation, then fine - that's their taste and preference. But it's not accurate."

In terms of tweaking with the digital chain, he says that it's technically better to go with a source/chain that results in a smoother, warmer, darker sound...

We will never know exactly what is happening in each and every one's system obviously. It's all fascinating stuff to me anyway.

And we're all clearly enjoying the music, which is the most important thing.

This is one of the reasons why listening tests alone, in much the same way as measurements alone, are not enough to draw reliable conclusions. Unfortunately measurements are often impossible or very expensive to perform. But in the case of sound quality changes that are conjectured to be due to improved latency measures, measurements can be done quite straightforwardly and there is actually no reason not to do them.     

14 minutes ago, flkin said:

Can you explain how that works? What are you comparing a track played by hqp  to? 

Is the same test possible for Roon? 

That would be interesting to see what your DAC says

I guess it just makes a midsum check or, even better, a bit-by-bit comparison between the data sent to the DAC and a reference file. It is a trivial test that every DAC that has enough internal memory to store a whole track should implement.