IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 1/2/2017 at 2:49 AM, austinpop said:

So how do you bridge 2 ethernet ports? If you are on Linux, I can't help you but I'm sure it's possible. If you are on a Mac, here are the fairly simple instructions that I followed. Feel free to use DHCP but you are also free to assign a static IP:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18510?locale=en_US

I got a new Mac Mini and try to bridge the two Ethernet ports together.  Unfortunately, the original link is missing.  Wonder anyone can help me here.  Thank you very much!

Best regards,  

David

4 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

I got a new Mac Mini and try to bridge the two Ethernet ports together.  Unfortunately, the original link is missing.  Wonder anyone can help me here.  Thank you very much!

Best regards,  

David

Have the problem resolved by reconfiguration of Thubdrbolt Bridge from thunderbolt ports to Ethernet port and USB port.  

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

I am thinking to establish a “WiFI bridge” to mimic the bridge concept described in this thread.  I almost 100% sure people here already successfully implemented it but searched around I failed to identify anything similar.  

In a typical bridge, hardware wise, Ethernet connections are established between a router and a computer (Mac Mini), and between the computer and a streamer (SOtM’s sMS 200).  Software wise, virtual link is established by combining two physical connections listed above as a bridge.  Now, I would like to replace the second connection listed above, namely the Ethernet connection between Mac Mini and sMS 200, with a WiFI connection by taking the advantage of sMS 200’s WiFI capability.  I have successfully established the WiFI connection between the router and sMS 200, indicating hardware-wise, sMS 200 is capable taking wireless signal.  Next I tried to use the sharing function in Mac Mini to turn it into a WiFI hotspot by sharing “Ethernet” using “WiFI Ports” with other computers such as sMS 200.  However, when I went to sMS 200’s  web-based interphase to establish the WiFI connection with the “Hotspot” from Mac Mini, the hotspot was visible but sMS 200 failed to connect to it.  

Wonder if anyone can share their experience how to do it or the expert’s opinion if it even can be done.

Thank you very much!
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

This is based on hardware. When i first set up my system i needed a way to get the data stream from the ISP router up to my hi-fi room, a direct distance of ca 15m. 

I evaluated several different means including some cheap Cat5 ethernet cable, CAT6 Synergistic Research ‘Actve SE’ ethernet,  wi-fi direct, mesh wi-fi (2 different brands). 

By far the best turned out to be a TPLink RE650 extender using its 5GHz band, with the 2.4Ghz band, polling and all LEDs switched off.  Adding a TPLink Archer AC5400 tri-band router meant that i could dedicate one 5GHz band solely to audio. I then modified the RE650, removing its built-in 230v SMPS and wall plug and replacing it with a custom built anti-vibration wall mount and Sean Jacobs 5V LPS. 

@BlackmorecThank you very much for spending time to write your implementation up.  I really appreciate it.  The power supply replacement is a good thought.