IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:13 PM, charlesphoto said:

From Cool Chris a couple of pages back: 

FTLF1321p1BTL

So 1321 on the pucture is much closer to planetech, but not as mechanical sounding.

Also this one has very good focuse and authority. Not as good as Startech but I think it is a great balance of all 3 in 1 SFP.

So what you get in 1321 is about  80% of detail focuse and authotity that Startech has.

90% of what Planetech offers being very well balanced in SQ.

80% of space and delicacy that is in 1324 without being harsh.

And it is do cheap that it is no brainer to get. I paid 20 Euro for 1321 SfP so 40 in total for a pair. 

I have collected few dozens of SFPs to find the one for me .

Choice of SFP is one of the biggest SQ changer you can have. 

It has much bigger effect than most of things we do.

Hi, I am currently trying out Finisar 1321. Can you share the specfic models in Planet Tech and Startech you have tried and yeilded good results. Will help narrow down to proven models.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question on SFP <-> switch compatibility. I have been using Cisco 2960 switch with TPLink MC200CM fmc, Cisco SPFs and multimode fiber cable without issue on my streamer. As many in this forum has been using Finisar FTLF1321P1BTL SFP with single mode cable, I tried this with my Cisco 2960 switch. But the streamer is not getting internet. Wanted to know if Finisar single mode SFP is compatible with the 2960 catalyst series switch.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I never heard bright and harsh from mine.  I have 3 of these (but with only 2 in use right now). The V14D used with my Farad Super3 powers my EtherRegen.  This actually brought a more organic and natural sound relative to a Nordost cord that I used prior to that.  

What do you have the V14D plugged into?  

I have connected it to my ethernet switch, which connects to streamer through fiber Network cable using SFPs.

Thanks others. I will leave it breaking-in for a week more and report back. Else Iam planning to scale back to V14 regular to see if it works better.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:33 PM, auricgoldfinger said:

Here were my impressions of the MGB-TLX, FTLF1318PBTL, and FTLF1324P3BTL.  The "older" Finisar which I reference is the FTLF1324P3BTL, and the "newer" Finisar is the FTLF1318P3BTL.  [I purchased the FTLF1321P3BTL last November, but they vanished into the DHL ether.  I still waiting for a refund.]

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/679/?tab=comments#comment-1064229

So is Finisar 1324 better than 1321? Read back in december as 1321 sounded better than other SFPs, and now looks like another winner has emerged!

3 hours ago, fds said:

Great ... please let us know about your impressions once you find time for this comparison. I have a pair of 1321's too but not yet tested since the Planet Tech transceivers currently used in oM and oR are working very, very nicely.

I will give 1321 to break-in for another week. Below post in this thread has good words on 1321 compared to 1324

13 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Which SFPs?  Also my question about “plugged into” was aimed more at the power side.  Mine is plugged into a Shunyata Denali v1.  The V14D seemed to improve the Denali in the sense that it seemed better at dropping the noise floor.  The noise reduction built into Shunyata cords actually filters what’s coming out of the cord so that the noise passed onto other components is reduced.

I am using Finisar 1321. V14 is plugged in to the switch from the wall outlet. Trying to move Hydra so I can use V14 from hydra instead of wall outlet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone looking to sell Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL, FTLF1324P3BTL or Planet Tech MGB-TLX SFPs, PM me. I want try these in place of Finisar 1321. 

1321 brings a change in terms of depth and space. But I am losing the realism & lushness I get from ethernet only  connection. Want to see if other SFPs are a better match in my setup.