IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, romaz said:

My friend who is loaning me his tX-USBUltra also owns a standard sMS-200.  Using his BRIX (NUC) server with its standard USB port, he compared BRIX > tX-USBUltra > Chord DAVE against BRIX > sMS-200 > tX-USBUltra > Chord DAVE and in comparison, straight USB sounded flat and dull.  Just like me, he uses the "direct connection" with his sMS-200.  I'm pretty sure I will find the same thing with my setup that he has found and so my greater interest will be to see what happens with the Adnaco in the chain.  Adnaco with stock clocks + tX-USBUltra might give me some sense of how good the Adnaco might sound with its clocks replaced, especially since I believe they are both using the same TI USB chipsets.

So the Brix NUC usb out flat and dull.(only one dc input for all components!!!)

But my separately powered(u caps) mobo sound not.

5 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Roy, I take it your friend was using quality power supplies on his testing?  I don't understand what flat and dull mean in audio terms?  Sometimes some folks attribute electrical noise as being alive or full of energy. 

I don't have a lot of confidence in the Adnaco S3B in single mode, after reading an old review here, where they compared the Adnaco (powered with an LPS) to an SoTM Usb audio card and couldn't declare a winner. 

Page down about 3/4 to Obee.

As always I shall be interested in your findings.

My older z97 itx mobo usb sound dull and flat.external usb card help ,but new series 270 much much better.

sound galleries don't use any usb cards I think.Linn ,lumin makes only better separately power fed cheap clock.

sotm use special tcxo,ocxo?send picture pls,

master clock input?(1000dollar stuff)rubidium clock required?this is really funny

4 clock output?   the cables need short one ! cant put together with one clock.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dgarretson said:

I'm close to break-in  of the combo SOtM SMS-200Ultra/ts-USBultra/SPS-500, together with the SOtM-sourced D-Link switch timed by the SMS-200Ultra via a 6" SMB cable from Digikey.  All SOtM pieces are synchronized to a Stanford Research Systems Perf-10MHz rubidium clock via Canare 75ohm BNC cables, with the Perf-10 powered at 12 Vdc by a Hynes SR-7. This is definitely an improvement over mR powered by Hynes SR-7.  The gestalt is enhanced with short DIY USB cables made of shielded 3 nines dead soft silver USB cables.  Building a good silver USB cable is fairly simple.  I wouldn't waste $$ in that area.      

So the ~7000$ sotm chain better than mr+SR7.:D:D:D

14 hours ago, zephyr24069 said:

Great specs for phase noise and great Allen performance; are you including this as you plan to build the sub-assembly shown and use it in your system?   If so, it would great to hear more details,...power supply that will be involved, etc..and any testing of the finished product in your system.  Thanks for posting this!

This time just the plan,but I have some U caps board 16v(max) 20F 6pcs fed my atx mobo before,i think this is the finest psu in this (50-50.000$)range:D