IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Ok, MASSIVE is a bit of an overstatement at this level of high-end audio but now that I have your attention....

Ok, sorry for not completely understanding all of this which leads me to a few questions...

1) how many LPS-1 units do you have in place? You make it sound like ONE unit can power multiple devices? sorry i don't own an LPS-1 nor know that much about it yet, I have a TeraDak now powering my uRendu.

2) Is the SR7 powering the mac mini or your modem/router or both? where does one purchase an SR7?

3) I'm still somewhat confused about the chain of components here, are you still using FMC's and fiber before the uRendu or have you ditched the FMC's?

4) Right now i'm using the TeraDak PSU (30W DC9V2.5A) to power my uRendu, it'd be nice still get use out of it for another component, any suggestions?

I am not a frequent poster on CA and so I have not taken the time to update my signature yet but I will do so. I am generally found on Head-Fi. Please note that because of all the testing that I do, my reference setup changes often. You can look up my complete equipment list by clicking on my profile but my setup is as follows. Above all else, the qualities I value most are transparency, resolution and balance:

TP-Link Cable Modem/Router powered by Paul Hynes SR7 > BJC CAT6A ethernet cable > FMC 100Mbit isolators with receiving end powered by LPS-1 > BJC CAT6A ethernet cable > Paul Pang TCXO 100Mbit switch powered by LPS-1 > BJC CAT6A ethernet cable > Mac Mini modified with Uptone Audio MMK and powered with Paul Hynes SR7 > direct connection using SOtM dCBL6 ethernet cable with SOtM iSO-CAT6 isolator > sMS-200 (and microRendu) powered either by SR7 or LPS-1> Clarity Cables Natural USB cable > Chord DAVE DAC (which also functions as my headphone and speaker amp) > High Fidelity Cables Pro Series RCA interconnects > connected to custom junction box that inputs RCA and outputs to speaker binding posts > High Fidelity Cables CT-1 Ultimate Speaker Cables (soon to be upgraded to HFC Pro Series Speaker Cables) > Omega Custom Alnico monitors + JL Audio Fathom F110V2 subwoofer.

Ok, have a better picture of it now.

So your Mac mini is downstream from the FMC's to give you a more direct connection to your sMS-200 so I'm assuming that your Mac mini is in the same room and connected with a fairly short CAT6a cable? I'm would not be able to do this since my Mac is on the 2nd floor of my house and my system is on the first floor connected by 50' of fiber patch. Do you think I would I see any benefit from connecting the fiber network directly to my Mac rather than the wireless router?

Looks like you have total of 3 LPS-1 units and the SR7, is that right?

Also is your music is stored on the Mini?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ted, I tested two 1 GB FMCs for a point to point connection between my NAS and playerPC, with the FMCs powered by two "el cheapo" LPSes and 12 inches of BJC cat 6a at each end. I don't use a physical switch, opting for a virtual one under Linux, so a fiber switch is unnecessary. This is as deep as my testing has gone. Against this setup the EMOsystems solution sounds better, and is much simpler given that it is a passive solution.

I have contemplated buying a couple Intel fiber cards and testing them in the same point to point configuration as a replacement for the BJC cat 6a and EMOsystems transformer. However testing playback of locally stored files from the boot SSD on my playerPC vs. NAS based files shows no discernible benefit from local storage, so I haven't bothered to buy the fiber cards.

I should say that I have a second EMOsystems isolation transformer attached to the NAS for access to the Internet. Sitting between two Bjc cat 6a cables this leg attaches​ to a el-cheapo powered wired wifi adapter connected to a second nic on the NAS. The wifi adapter talks to a wireless router that defines a second music subnet on the general purpose network in the house.

I hope this answers your question.

I'm curious as to how long of a run your fiber was and does this direct connection method work best for shorter runs? My computer and microrendu are on two different levels of my home and are connected by 50' of fiber patch between 2 gigabit FMC's. I was using BJC6a for that same length previously but found the new fiber network to be an upgrade over the long ethernet cable.

• 1 month later...

Looking for a little help...thought I'd try out the bridging method between my Mac Mini and microRendu but can't seem to get it working or at least seen through Roon Core on the Mini. Basically my setup is Router>thunderbolt ethernet > Mac Mini > ethernet port> ethernet cable > EMO EN-70HD > .5m ethernet > microRendu.

What i've done so far besides the hard connections, is turning on internet sharing for the thunderbolt ethernet to ethernet port in the Mac's network settings. On the Mac i can access the web page for the microRendu however Roon is not seeing it, neither can i connect to the Rendu's page from my phone or iPad. Am i missing something? Thanks!