IGNORED

Building on my CAPSv2 - motherboard upgrade HELP!

Hello,

I have CAPSv2 with tX-USB PCI card with twoUSB output from which I plug a dual-conduit USB cable from acoustic revive to sonicweld HR diverter to metrum acoustics NOS octave DAC. These are products from 2011.

I would like to limit new cash expenses but to have more power for the music server.

I would like to find a new motherboard fitting in the case but with at least 8G0 RAM instead of 4 now + more powerful processor (ideally i5) and with half height PCI card allowance (I want to keep the sotm usb card with dual usb output and dedicated usb rail).

Any help welcome

Richard

Ceux qui aiment marcher en rangs sur une musique : ce ne peut être que par erreur qu’ils ont reçu un cerveau, une moelle épinière leur suffirait amplement.[br]Albert Einstein[br]

I find it usually doesn't pay to try and update old technology like PC's. Unless you can find cheap older parts or very minor add ons. Trying to update an old motherboard isn't worth it. Don't know why you need more power but if you do it's not because of playback for bit perfect audio. Thus best to build new. You can move the sotm usb card to the new motherboard.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Hello,

I have CAPSv2 with tX-USB PCI card with twoUSB output from which I plug a dual-conduit USB cable from acoustic revive to sonicweld HR diverter to metrum acoustics NOS octave DAC. These are products from 2011.

I would like to limit new cash expenses but to have more power for the music server.

I would like to find a new motherboard fitting in the case but with at least 8G0 RAM instead of 4 now + more powerful processor (ideally i5) and with half height PCI card allowance (I want to keep the sotm usb card with dual usb output and dedicated usb rail).

Any help welcome

Richard

You can use any newer mobo that fits your case and will accept 8GB RAM and that processor. Fewer features might be better as long as the board has what you need. Card height allowance is a function of the case but mobo PCI slot locations are standardized.

Thanks that's exactly what I want to know!

The case was Origen AE Technology M10 computer case:

Origen AE Technology - M10 HTPC Enclosure

http://www.origenae.com/downloads/brochures/m10.pdf with dimensions

so mini ITX it says.

In the process of having it built many things were removed or not used: no fan (and it has to stay like this), no spinning disc, ...

I found some pictures from the building process but slightly different from my case (no CD drive), it helps to get an idea of the space available

Ceux qui aiment marcher en rangs sur une musique : ce ne peut être que par erreur qu’ils ont reçu un cerveau, une moelle épinière leur suffirait amplement.[br]Albert Einstein[br]

sorry, I forgot the link of the building process:

$677 wifi music server or my minimalist C.A.P.S. v2.0 build

That build is almost 5 years old so likely many or all of those parts have been replaced with newer versions along with possible price changes. Technology changes as well so you may have to buy more current products than the ones listed on the build page, such as RAM, to be compatible with the newer board.

I,too, have the CAPS 2. I think it still sounds great. The problems you face will require finding a newer motherboard to accommodate your PCI card and finding a way to keep a fanless i5 from overheating in your case. The PCI problem can be solved thusly: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PEX1PCI1/dp/B0024CV3SA The overheating problem is a different story. The coolest i5 desktop CPU has a TDP of 35 watts. I have no idea how you passively cool that given the confines of your case without getting very creative (perhaps heatpipes/heatsink to fit your chosen mb and case exist, but that's a very long shot). I'm not sure what your goals are for your server and perhaps stating them here might help. I use WS2012 and Audiophile Optimizer in my CAPS 2.

Hope this helps.

Bill Walker