IGNORED

BBC radio3 sound quality

BBC radio3 sometimes amazes me with the quality of classical music played, not always though.

I listen on a vhf fm tuner Denon TU-260l and quad 34/405 amp and wharfedale 159 speakers.

I find often the seperation and presence ( not sure if these are the right names ) realy excellent.

What I want to know is this a true sense or are there ways to fiddle this.

What do other people feel about radio3.

Thanks

thyristor44

I listen as well. I agree that the sound is often excellent but I find it inconsistent. Even though the station sends a high bit rate signal there are times when I think the sound is average and not as good as other stations who send lower bit rate music such as the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra station. I suspect this has to do with the quality of the original broadcast not the streaming.

I'm curious. What VHF FM broadcasts of the UK's BBC radio 3 station mentioned by the OP are you receiving way out there in Northern California? Must be some really strong 'bits', never mind the bitrate, enough it seems even to overide FM's normal analogue tendencies!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

i listen via the BBC3 internet stream http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/mediaset/http-icy-mp3-a/vpid/bbc_radio_three/format/pls.pls. It used to transmit at 320 kbps but changed to 128 last year I think. Still nice though.

Hello avta

I normally listen via the radio on vhf fm, not available in Calafornia but I also listen via internet stream, the address here in uk and 320kbps is

h**p://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s24941&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=e2a334d032a52b3923beb8b54827f37a&filter=s:g5:country