IGNORED

hFX Micro Media questions

Toffen

Hi!

I have been looking at hFX Micro Media as first step for streaming music from the internet / downloading hi rez files. I would be very happy if anyone could help me with some few questions:

- Would it be possible to insert a Lynx audiocard:

- In the specs it states "HD Audio with optical and coaxial SPDIF". Is this digital out?

- If it has digital out (RCA and Toslink), do you know the quality of this?

I have a Burmester 061 cd player with two digital inputs. The ideal would have been to connect this via RCA digital direct to the Micro Media instead of using a interface.

My ultimate goal will be a to buy a Lynx audiocard and a Berkeley Alpha DAC, but if I can use digital out from the Micro Media and connect this to my 061 DAC, I will have a good solution for the time being.

Thanks for your help!

Cheeers,

Toffen

Lillesand

Norway

Hi Toffen -

"- Would it be possible to insert a Lynx audiocard:"

Yes, you need a riser card because the lynx, or any other card, would be too tall. Here is a link to the riser cards. http://www.hfx.at/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139&Itemid=144

"- In the specs it states "HD Audio with optical and coaxial SPDIF". Is this digital out?"

Yes

"- If it has digital out (RCA and Toslink), do you know the quality of this?"

All the HD Audio digital outputs from a motherboard I've used are very inferior to a Lynx or asynchronous USB converters.

However, it's free to try the built-in digital output because it comes on the board. If you like the sound then you'll save a bit of money not buying a Lynx card.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi!

Thanks Chris.

My listening room is relatively small, so I have no room for a seperate space for a server / computer. I am saving for a computer with a Lynx audiocard and a Berkeley Alpha DAC that suits the room. The rest of my audio system is fairly good, and I am intrigued by the possibilty to download hi rez files plus of course stream music from the net.

Do you have other suggestions for a computer in which I can add a Lynx audiocard? Another route is ofcourse to buy the Ayre USB dac and save the Lynx and Berkeley costs... Or use the Firewire and buy an interface... Have you ever tested the RME / Focusrite / Motu / etc intefaces?

I listened to a computer setup in a studio with a Lynx card and an imported Berkeley DAC, and I can not forget it... (Wilson Maxx 3 and Burmester amps). Thats the curse of the hobby!

Cheeers and good luck with your great site!

Toffen, Lillesand, Norway

Hi Toffen - It all depends how much you want to spend on a computer with a Lynx card. Here is a link to pre-built silent computers with Lynx cards. http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/category=Quiet_Music_Servers.html?id=jNxuUEoD

If you want you can build these computers yourself. If I were you I would purchase the Lynx and a riser card for the hfX Micro Media. you may want to send mCubed an email just to make sure the riser and card will work without any showstoppers. You never know :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi!

I will start with the hfX Micro Media and the Lynx card. If I think the hfX Micro Media does not end up to be the trick, I can use the Lynx card in another computer later. I will send Lynx an email.

Does the hfx Micro Media has a firewire slot as well?

Have a nice evening.

Cheeers, ToffenG

Hi!

I just got an email from Ernst Spitaler at mCubed Information Technology Ltd., and the micro Media does not have Firewire support. Neither does it have a PCIe slot. Connection would be possible only via USB2.0.

So I have to look for a bigger unit from hfX or a diffrent brand. The search is still on!

Cheeers, Toffen