IGNORED

Classical Music for Those Who'd Love to Love it, but Never Learned it.

Is anyone willing to write, by themselves or with someone else, a series of articles to educate people about classical music (with a bent toward audiophiles)? I would love to publish these on the front page and put them in the CA Academy as a great reference for a long time.

Questions, comments, concerns? Post here or private message me here.

I shall take it upon myself to peer-pressure Bob Stern into doing this.

• 6 months later...
On 5/24/2017 at 1:46 PM, sphinxsix said:

Chris I think you have to get bored with the stuff you listen to and its musical (harmonic, rhythmic etc) limitations first to make the next step, to move forward (at least it worked with me in that way, quite naturally, organically). 'Understanding' the music, its historical and other backgrounds never worked that well in my case - eg my perception of 'Kind of Blue' changed very little after reading a book about this recording. But maybe it's just me and the fact that my perception of music is more connected with my emotional sphere than intelectual one. Good luck with this project (CA classical music experts knowledge calls for something like that), despite of what I've just written I believe it can be useful to many, me included.

In my case, it had nothing to do with getting bored with something else.  OTOH, my interest in classical music developed well before my interest in "rock" or whatever.  I think they were completely separate developments.

My 'understanding' of classical music remains next to nonexistent.  Although I wish I were more classical music-literate, I don't think it necessary to enjoy it (although it may well enhance the enjoyment).