IGNORED

Question about streaming music off laptop

Hi Everyone,

Im pretty much new to using a PC as a music source and my setup is fairly basic please let me know if I could be doing something better or taking a better approach with the gear I have

RECEIVER

Pioneer VSX-45 (marketing speak on the audio side)

"The Pioneer VSX-45 delivers the high-resolution music playback audiophiles demand, with support for 192 kHz 24-bit AIFF, WAV, FLAC, and Apple Lossless up to 96kHz 24-Bit. Compressed formats, such as MP3, WMA, and AAC are also supported. Stream these files from your home network, tablet, or even the front USB. Serious listeners will appreciate DSD direct playback via network or SACD disc playback via HDMI."

SOURCE

HP Laptop

MEDIA

TIdal Hi-Fi level streaming

CONNECTIVITY

HDMI from laptop to HDMI on Receiver

QUESTIONS

1. SInce IM using HDMI from the laptop to the receiver it should be using the DAC on the receiver right?

2. While IM not looking to spend more if I could improve the sound with a dedicated DAC (like a Schiit or something similar) for around $200 I would do that.

Thanks..

Been looking for a forum like this forever so I am really excited to have found it so i can try and learn from the experts here!

Hi OpethPA,

The whole point of the network audio file streaming capabaility of your Pioneer VSX-45, as mentioned in the 'marketing speak', actually means that you can free your Windows laptop from being connected to it by cable!

This would include streaming audio files from online streaming services (such as Tidal), as well as streaming audio files from a device on your home network (such as your laptop). So with respect, it sort of makes your first question redundant (answer is yes), unless for some reason you feel you can't use your home network with its WiFi and must therefore tether your laptop to your AVR with an HDMI cable.

Are you just going to use the Tidal HiFi online service as a source, or do you have your own music files too?

Is using your Windows laptop to control the playback a must or can you use an Android tablet/phone or equivalent iOS device instead?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Everyone,

Im pretty much new to using a PC as a music source and my setup is fairly basic please let me know if I could be doing something better or taking a better approach with the gear I have

RECEIVER

Pioneer VSX-45 (marketing speak on the audio side)

"The Pioneer VSX-45 delivers the high-resolution music playback audiophiles demand, with support for 192 kHz 24-bit AIFF, WAV, FLAC, and Apple Lossless up to 96kHz 24-Bit. Compressed formats, such as MP3, WMA, and AAC are also supported. Stream these files from your home network, tablet, or even the front USB. Serious listeners will appreciate DSD direct playback via network or SACD disc playback via HDMI."

SOURCE

HP Laptop

MEDIA

TIdal Hi-Fi level streaming

CONNECTIVITY

HDMI from laptop to HDMI on Receiver

QUESTIONS

1. SInce IM using HDMI from the laptop to the receiver it should be using the DAC on the receiver right?

2. While IM not looking to spend more if I could improve the sound with a dedicated DAC (like a Schiit or something similar) for around $200 I would do that.

Thanks..

Been looking for a forum like this forever so I am really excited to have found it so i can try and learn from the experts here!

You sound like you've got a good handle on things. The only thing I might add is Roon software on your laptop. Roon consolidates things nicely, is a great interface with your library (and Tidals) and also gives you control of your music from your phone or tablet which is fantastic.

David

So David, it seems like you don't agree that the OP should at least try the Pioneer's own network audio file streaming capabilities, so removing the need for the HDMI cable connection from the laptop?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

So David, it seems like you don't agree that the OP should at least try the Pioneer's own network audio file streaming capabilities, so removing the need for the HDMI cable connection from the laptop?

He may as well try it. I've tried their receivers in that mode (amongst many other receivers) and have consistently found the control aspect lacking (unless you are using Spotify Connect) and the sound quality to consistently be the same or better through HDMI than using Ethernet.

With Roon I think it's the best of both worlds. Great sound coupled with great interface and that's why I recommended it.

David

HI!!

Thanks so much for the input..

Currently my media source is Tidal. The Pioneer has native streaming for Pandora and Spotify but nothing for Tidal.

I can stream files fine from the laptop to the Pioneer via ethernet but I no longer have access to my CD's so streaming seems the best way thus the HDMI connection.

Ill have to look into ROON , I didnt know that gives control of the Tidal library...

Thanks!

Currently my media source is Tidal. The Pioneer has native streaming for Pandora and Spotify but nothing for Tidal.
Just because the Pioneer hasn't been provided with native support for Tidal, doesn't mean it can't stream music files from it. The fact that it supports industry standard UPnP/DLNA network audio file streaming means that you have access to many (free) third party UPnP/DLNA supporting sources that do have access to Tidal (as well as other online music services).

For example, by installing Linn Kazoo and the BubbleUPnP Server software on your Windows laptop.

The Linn Kazoo controller application is normally used to provide Tidal access to OpenHome supporting network audio file players, such as Linn DS devices, so not standard UPnP/DLNA supporting devices such as your Pioneer. However, the BubbleUPnP Server helper application bridges the two technologies, allowing you to control your standard UPnP/DLNA Pioneer with the OpenHome supporting Linn Kazoo controller and thus have access to Tidal's library:

https://www.linn.co.uk/software

TidalGenre.jpg

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/#media_renderers_configuration

media_renderers.jpg

Therefore, definitely no need for HDMI cable between your laptop and the Pioneer!

-- Jo Cox