IGNORED

SSD on computer vs Hard Drive

Are you thinking the built in soundcard will be okay since you have an SSD, while they often picked up noise of spinning hard drives?

If so, it depends. There are soundcards that can have very good sound quality without spending a bundle now. Like the Asus Xonus line.

For excellent quality, even with an on board SSD, you likely would benefit with an external DAC.

If this doesn't answer your question, a few more specifics of your intended use might help.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Funny you should mention Asus Xonar because my very 1st DAC was an Asus Xonar Essence One. It was quite an improvement over the computer sound card. You've answered my question. I just happen to have an extra stereo amp and thought about a 2nd setup with just an SSD laptop & headphones. But looks like another DAC would be needed. Can't really afford the same caliber DAC I have in my main setup right now and I can't see myself settling for less.

...I just happen to have an extra stereo amp and thought about a 2nd setup with just an SSD laptop & headphones. But looks like another DAC would be needed. Can't really afford the same caliber DAC I have in my main setup right now and I can't see myself settling for less.

Hey if you want to be able to use your HE6s in both systems, consider these three ideas:

A "Schiit stack" consisting of:

1) Modi Multibit DAC and a Jotunheim HP amp/preamp for $650, or

2) Jotunheim with optional USB balanced DAC card for $500, or

3) Modi Multibit DAC with Magni 2 Uber HP amp for $400, or

4) Modi 2 Uber DAC with Magni 2 Uber HP amp for $300.

I just bought a bunch. By reports, the Jotunheim can definitely drive any headphone to the Moon, but makes a killer preamp and is even great for super-efficient IEMs. Read some of the *thousands* of pages written about these affordable monsters.

Schiit Jotunheim Impressions

Schiit Modi Multibit: multibit for the masses

Or watch:

Good luck!

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I was thinking of using the extra amp as a HP amp using it's speaker taps to drive the HE-6's. But remembering the amp is totally analog (RCA connections) I'd need to connect the system as follows.

Source - COMPUTER

USB interconnect

DAC

RCA interconnects

analog STEREO AMP

XLR balanced HE-6 HP cable

Hifiman HE-6 Headphones

I'd only need a new DAC.

Sounds like a good plan. I still think you would be better served by the Jot, even if your spare amp is killer: you need to consider performance with all hps. Do compare: the Jot is insanely quiet (note its IEM performance) and versatile for a powerful hp amp. Plus it has balanced line I/O for great performance with pro gear, etc.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

My secondary DAC is the v 1.2 Dragonfly (24/96) on the laptop with headphones. My main system uses the Schitt Modi 2 ($99- 24/192) and I just installed a 120 Gb SSD on that box. It is running at full bus speed, and no mechanicals to fail. I think it sounds better.