IGNORED

Bricasti M1 SE & other DACs under 10k worth auditioning

Two I would highly recommend

1. T&A DAC DSD upsampled to DSD 512

2. The MSB Analog DAC with Quad USB or renderer ( I think you have a choice of one over the other)

I have the MSB Diamond V with quad usb and absolutely love it.

The T&A I have for my headphone system and I love it.

However the MSB sound IMO is just amazing. I had an Analog on loan before buying the Diamond and was very impressed with it.

Incidentally I had a Vega and sold it pretty quick. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Well, it appears that the msb diamond is out of my range [emoji3]

I'll need to take a look and analog.

Thoughts on bricasti?

Nothing first hand. Just a good friend of mine who had the Bricasti and one listen to the MSB Diamond and was hooked.

If I had to "grade it" the Analog gets you much closer to the Diamond than one would think is possible given the price differences. Probably 85-90% of the way there?? It is an amazing DAC.

Only issue is that while it has XLR outs it really is single ended if that matters.

At the price range you are looking at it really deserves a listen.

I appreciate the input... I'll definitely give it a listen. I just did a quick search for reviews and apparently 6moons thought it was outclassed by the total DAC d1-six DAC. That also appears to be Michael's (from audiostream) new reference.

Not sure about 6 moons. I know 6 moons only reviews products that advertise with them so I kind of gave up on them. Not sure if MSB advertises with them or not. Just my take

The other guy at Audiostream has an Analog as his DAC of choice.

I haven't heard the total DAC so I have no opinion. I know people really like it.

Also any review of the Analog needs to be using either the Quad USB or the renderer or it's not worth the review. Those who have the renderer think it's better than the Quad USB. I think you can get either for the same price.

Best advice is to try to get an Analog in home demo.

I went to 2015 Axpona to investigate and purchase a DAC and music server. At the time I listened to all of them that were there and at the end it came down to the Bricasti M1 and Lampizator Golden Gate. To me sonically they were very close although the Lampizator was like 8K more expensive however the final decision came down to the company and personalities. I just saw Bricasti as a more solid choice and being US made was an added bonus.

I was also impressed with how they keep updating their unit not just with software but as in the case of the SE update several internal components. The SE version is quite a step up from what I originally heard and I'm positive that more will be coming. I'm very pleased sonically. Since I saved some money on the DAC 1 could now afford at the time the new N10 Aurender. Also as you can see I kind of personalized it with all black and polished buttons and feet. Concerning the feet they have very cleverly incorporated Stillpoints within each foot. This should not be over looked for those that use some type of isolation I don't know of any other DAC that comes that way. Depending on what you get that could easily add 1K to the cost of most any other DAC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30189[/ATTACH]

My only caution with your advice and NOT a criticism, since we are all in the same boat, is the best audition (if possible) is in your system. These days, many DACS, since they are not huge speakers, for a small fee (usually reimbursable) can be tried in the home. At shows, there are so many variables it is hard to discern what is really going on. Shows are great to see all the new gadgets, etc but to judge the sound or the actual component of interest is kind of a crap shoot. Fantastic stuff can sound awful. There is a speaker manufacturer I know of who truly makes a world class speaker but just can't get it sounding right at any show as it is a pretty complex setup, usually shares a room with other manufacturers that may or may not work with his speaker and invariably reviewers give "his room" a mediocre review YET when they review it under the right circumstances go bananas over it as do potential customers who hear them in his showroom.

The point being without belaboring the point, you are talking about spending some decent bucks on a "component" that is easy to ship, so demo those you narrow it down to.

One last bit of advice from me.

Whatever DAC you decide on, while this has nothing to do with listening pleasure, I would just check Audiogon to see how the product you choose resells and how good the market is for it. Many do change their components pretty often and you never know if you will be one of the "many" and you want to be able to walk away from it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I propose you give Srajan's piece a read, this is not questionable or dubious in any way imho:

6moons audio industry features: A broken system

For me personally, 6moons is the publication I trust the most, especially Srajan's own reviews float my boat.

Additionally his taste in sound reproduction (and price area) kind of reflect my own, which gives additional weight to his words (for me at least).

If I had to choose one online mag, this would be it.

Cheers

Edit: The T+A @ DSD512 gets my vote as well!

To be honest I don't get a big lift from most reviews. I like reading and/or browsing to see the new stuff coming out but I kind of ignore the opinion part of most reviews. Not claiming to be better just have my own taste and always rather judge for myself and when it comes to an audio piece IMO you have to live with it for awhile and listen rather than "review".

Having said that, he may be the most honest guy, his methods I just can't support and hence unless he is a robot bias based on his business model WILL always creep into the equation.

I can tell you as a physician, many companies have tried to "induce me" with tickets to this or that or IPO access or trips to see their equipment, etc and I have never accepted and I never will. I won't even buy stock in companies I do business with because I do recognize the human element in all things no matter what people tell you to the contrary. I have always worked that way and want to be beholden to no one in making my decisions nor do I want "it" to creep into the subconscious.

Yes, I believe they do.

Parttimeaudiophile also reviewed the Atlantic about a month ago.

I am sure the Lampi are excellent. I haven't heard them so I can't give a personal opinion and surely have products in the price range of the OP.

I just have issues with conflicts of interest (not just in politics) but in all things hence my comment about 6 moons.