IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

The new singxer ddc under testing now.But old version many in stock,so in the near future don't available.cool!!!!

What is difference about this new DDC than the SU-1?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Well done! I knew I should have studied electrical engineering at university!!!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I tried using a 5v -cut off usb cable to connect pc with SU-1 but it did not work. So it seems that Su-1 needs 5v power to, at least, have handshake with pc. After the handshake, maybe removing 5v power would do sone benefit. I just don't have a twin headed usb cable to test this idea. Anyone here having a twin headed cable please test and report back. Thanks a lot.

I tried this and it won't work. SU-1 always needs 5v. I am supplying separate 5v via my linear power supply.

Other components:

That's not good a good option. But if you got an extra Regen you could feed it direct clean LPS-1. Or feed that 5VBus at the SU1. I think the SU1 needs to be redesigned for all power from the LPS-1. Then it could be a good solution.

Yes I intend to use an LPS-1 to power the SU-1 and provide the 5v bus.

Other components:

• 3 weeks later...
I just took delivery of my SU-1 and I'm going a basic function check before moving on to critical listening.

The first thing I noticed was an audible "click" or "pop" when starting/stopping DSD playback.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Check out the thread on the Holo Spring DAC, page 11. There is a lot of talk about pop playing DSD, though this issue seems to be mainly related to playback via Linux.

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...
Superdad

I'm very interested in the SU-1 powered by John's technology (Already have the F1).

Can you tell us how things seems to develop ?

Or maybe John will develop an Ethernet to SPDIF (AES/EBU) converter ?

Alex,

Yes, those of us with SU-1 would love to power with our JS-2 and/or LPS-1 !

Hi guys. Not the esteemed @Superdad but I am going to be using an LPS-1 to power my SU-1 and supply clean 5V usb to it from my PC. It took me a while to source the correct internal connector for the SU-1 but I finally did receive them. I will placing an order for an LPS-1 in a few weeks. I will keep everyone posted.

Other components:

Can you please provide link for source of the correct internal connector?

Sure!

Here is what I bought:

10sets VH3.96 2Pin Connector Kit pitch Straight Pin Header+Terminal+Housing | eBay

The connector is VH3.96 2Pin.

Other components:

....or Tim offers a possible cheaper SU-1 with only the DC input jack [emoji3]

Thanks for sharing anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Quite the contrary. Looks like Tim is considering a tuned version of the SU-1 similar to the Spring dac for more money!.

https://kitsunehifi.com/kte-kitsune-tuned-edition-singxer-su-1-tuned-psu-amongst-other-options-as-a-package-deal/

Other components:

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scan80269 said:

BTW, since the majority of the logic is running on +3.3V, I plan to replace that LD1086 regulator with a Belleson SuperRegulator.  I'll also replace the five 220uF electrolytics.  Once I get this SU-1 wired up to connect to an LPS-1, it should do very well.

Dang I wish I had your skillz.  I knew I should have studied electrical engineering in school instead of mechanical!

Other components:

6 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

I have received most of the parts I ordered for modding my SU-1, and may start work as soon as tomorrow.  As indicated previously I plan to replace the electrolytic caps and the LD1086 regulator generating 3.3V with a Belleson Superpower regulator.  A colleague is making me an aluminum plate with a hole to accommodate a 5.5/2.1 DC power jack, so the internal linear power supply will eventually be replaced by an UpTone LPS-1 power supply feeding in 5V.  Knowing a few people have already done this, I can't wait to complete this mod as well.

I am running my SU-1 off a battery for now. I  just received my 2.1mm socket and a black acrylic sheet to cover the AC power space.  I am also using the battery to supply 5V for the USB input as well.  Overall Iike the improvement and will be ordering an LPS-1 tomorrow.  

Hey wanna mod my SU-1 as well?  I'll pay you!  (just kidding, sort of!)

Other components:

12 hours ago, scan80269 said:

You may want to wait till I can confirm success with my SU-1 first.  I have never replaced a surface mount LDO regulator with a through-hole one, so there is some risk this mod may be deadly to my SU-1.  I'll need a bit of luck and a lot of care to pull this off.

Should I be successful, I wouldn't mind performing the same mod for you.  Shipping just the SU-1 circuit board should be much cheaper than shipping the whole unit.  Of course your product warranty would become void with such a mod!

I would also welcome the opportunity to do a sonic shootout between modded and stock SU-1.  Since the mods are not reversible, the modded unit needs to be directly compared to a stock unit to assess the SQ benefits (if any).

Awesome thank you!  Let me know if you need any help from me. I could always send you my circuit board for the shootout and if there is an improvement you can just keep it and do the mods.  

Other components:

3 hours ago, scan80269 said:

Phase 2 mod is complete!  Now my SU-1 can be powered by UpTone LPS-1!

I haven't ripped out the stock LPS yet, as I plan to do a comparison between it and the LPS-1.

Singxer_SU-1_Mod_for_LPS-1.jpg

VERY VERY cool.  I am dying to find out if the LPS-1 would sound better than using my Teknet battery to power the SU-1. 

Other components:

9 hours ago, Superdad said:

Guess I should do mine next. :D

Yeah I guess I should too.   Just placed an order for the LPS-1!!!!

Other components:

1 minute ago, Miko said:

So what are you gaining then? Without test results I fail to see a point other then just playing around hoping to improve something..

Isn't that the definition of an audiophile?? :) I admit to enjoying just tweaking my system as I do listening to it.  

Other components:

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, how hard is it to replace the voltage regulator?  Does anything else need to be done or is literally plug and play?  Also can someone please post a pic showing exactly what component needs to be replaced?

Other components:

Is anyone willing to replace the voltage regulator for me if I pay them for their trouble? Pretty please?

Other components:

Just now, Energy said:

I'll do it for you if you try to memorize the sound now and tell me if it made any differences afterwards. :P

Well if you send you my board you can use it and compare it to your modified board.

Other components:

7 hours ago, Energy said:

That would actually be the better method.

Feel free to message me on Computer Audiophile or Head-Fi. ^_^

Cheers,

Tim

PM sent!  Thank you.

Other components:

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Bump

Any feedback on whether the mysoundaffairs upgrade kit is a worthwhile investment for better SQ?

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/products/singxer-su-1-with-plixir-elite-bdc-modification

Many Thanks,

Alan

Personally for about the same money I would just get the LPS-1 and the DC kit from Kitsune.  

Other components:

Definitely lots of options.  All I know is I (and another member) felt that the LPS-1 definitely improved the sound of the SU-1.  Adding a home made star quad DC cable to feed the SU-1 also improved things for me.  

Other components:

Same here. No reply yet from Tim.  He is usually pretty responsive so I am sure he is just tied up doing something.  That said, I agree it would be good just to know the time frame so we can set expectations.

Other components:

7 hours ago, Energy said:

Right now I'm waiting for my parts to come in so I can modify mine and @tboooe's unit.

Cheers,

Timothy

Very much looking forward to this mod!  Thank you Timothy!!!!

Other components:

11 hours ago, Energy said:

I actually ended up going with:

- (1) Canare 4S8 Star Quad Cable 1FT

Timothy, I assume this cable is for the internal DC cable in the SU-1?  If so, any reason why you chose to go with this cable for the internal cable instead of the 4S6?

Other components:

4 minutes ago, Energy said:

audiophiles do things in excess

I have a few feet of 4S8 at home and like any respectable audiophile, I will be definitely be going overboard and using this instead of that wimpy 4S6 cable!! :)

Other components:

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

What's the consensus on the most effective mod for an SU-1?

I've only done two things thus far...adding the LPS-1 power supply and a Wireworld Ultraviolet HDMI cable.  Both had discernible positive impact on my system.  More mods to come courtesy of a member way smarter than me!

Other components: