IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

Yes it can be used for that. But it's USB implementation may be better than what is available on a modern DAC, allowing you to use inputs that may sound better.

But you aren't ultimately using it's USB implementation. You are using it's AES/EBU or S/PDif output, You are also using the S/PDif or AES/EBU input of what ever you are feeding. If that unit didn't have good USB implementation why would the other interfaces be any better? You are also relying on it's clock. Where you previously had a better async interface.

Thanks.

I have a question on drivers though: will the F1 require any driver on debian linux?

More precisely, I'd curious to experiment with the F1 on my raspberry pi3 but I would like to be sure it would work in first place....

This would be the resulting chain I would set up raspberry-->Uptone USB regen-->Singxer F1-->Chord Mojo Dac

Why wouldn't you take the $400, $175, $599 (Singxer, Uptone, Mojo) and simply purchase a $1200 DAC?

That's just puzzling.

It's hard to generalize but if you do follow what has been said here and most other forums, an external USB device will usually be better than the built-in interfaces on just about any DAC. Better power supplies, isolation and the newest XMOS chipsets .

You mean like the $99 Behringer UMC204HD? It uses the XMOS chipset, it can take an external power supply.

They're so damn hard to tell apart