IGNORED

SSD Server/External Storage

blueixus

Is anyone using an SSD based ExternalStorage /File Server, in my case I want to replace a firewire connected Hard Drive based Iomega UltraMax Pro with an SSD based device to connect to my laptop.

I have SSD in the Laptop which runs Amarra but I need at 500GB of external storage. I am on my third hard drive this year! (At least all were backed up).

Interestingly before failure of Hard Drive 3 the system was sounding very strange - I though hard drive failure was an 'on' or an 'off' type of thing, not shades of grey.

Any thoughts or advice on the quest will be much appreciated.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I had a usb external 500GB SSD setup and worked great, with a couple of issues. First, while not expected, the RAID0 (250x2 OCZ Vertex) collectively ran quite hot to the point I was concerned about accelerated failure problems. Second, and I just don't know what the source is, it just didn't sound quite as good as the same music stored on the internal SSD of the Mac Mini I was using it with (usb connectors? usb bus? power related even though I used a linear PSU for the enclosure?) and I did a fair amount of A/B on this because it was so easy to do (very marginal different btw, nothing like swapping other components, etc.... but you want to know if you're spending $1500-1700 on storage it should have the best possible results). The RAID enclosure I used was this one:

http://www.addonics.com/products/enclosures/AE25RDESU.asp

Also, TRIM commands are not currently supported (or expected to be anytime soon) from what I understand on RAID0 setups. So a single 500GB will be better in this regard (even though drives like OCZ colossus are just employing internal raid0 I believe - don't know if will be supported or not). There is apparently one 2.5" 500GB announced a little while back that will hopefully be avilable soon. Last question, will memory based players eliminate the advantage of large external SSD storage?