IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

My LPS-1 arrived earlier today. I'm possibly the first one. I've been listening for several hours straight.

I will be suitably convinced that I cannot do better than the LPS-1 and will happily repurpose my Paul Hynes unit. Based on what I am hearing with the LPS-1, this wil be tough to beat. Nice job, John and Alex!

As a second test, I tried the LPS-1 on my TP-Link FMC (receiving module). T

If mR in NAA mode using Roon/HQPlayer improved upon the Aurender N10 by about 20% with my Chord DAVE, I would estimate improvement with LPS-1 to be at least equivalent if not more compared to what mR brings by itself. Just amazing. The mR has taken on new life.

Thanks for this post and all your testing here. These are the kinds of impressions & reporting that are incredibly helpful to us all. Really appreciate it!!! And I really look forward to your impressions of the Paul Hynes supply.

Since the first UltraCap LPS-1 units will begin arriving to

Many thanks to all for your patronage and enthusiasm. The launch has been great so far, now we will all find out if this crazy new power supply delivers on its promise. ;)What counts is how it sounds in YOUR systems!

--Alex C.

Woot....

Up and running with microRendu & F-1 USB to SPDIF. First impression is that it's thinner sounding than the 9V Teradak alone. But, there seems to be a significant improvement in soundstage and overall clarity and separation & a "truer" sound to each instrument.

I am listening to Peace Orchestra, Lila Downs, peter gabriel, & St Germain.

IMG_8111.JPG

IMG_8108.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
In other words , an improved dynamic range. I wonder if it also has something to do with instantaneous current capabilities, as the manufacturers of the higher quality electrolytic capacitors used in amplifier power supplies for energy storage specify "slew rate"

Hi

Not the def. of dynamic range. Dynamic range is the difference between loud & quiet parts. It is the function of the recording. Noise may contribute to a lack of perceived definition of instruments or in passages that are quiet. Or noise may annoy, but lowering the noise in a stereo playback system, does not increase dynamic range

Cheers

Of course not, but it gives the APPEARANCE of an improvement in dynamic range, especially when notes and voices appear to disappear into "blackness" or appear to last a little longer. You can often hear low level detail that you may previously have not noticed.

Exactly

Sorry if I was nitpicking

• 3 weeks later...
Remove the FMC's or even better add an LPS-1 to power one (only one) FMC.

A second LPS-1 will lift the SQ. Guaranteed:)

Hey R1200CL, -

Thanks for commenting on my setup.

I am already powering the FMCs with JameCo linear Power supplies, - and I can't/won't spend the $400+ on one for the FMC.

I have to use both FMCs cause I don't have a Fiber switch upstairs.

I have pulled the Fiber out of the system, - and it sounds better with the Fiber in place. Also, - the JameCo FMC LPSs DO sound better, (not dramatically, but significantly), - than the stock, SMPSs supplied with the FMCs.

My next steps are to move LMS to my NAS drive and run it there. AND, - to turn on the "Virtual Switch" on the QNAP and use Ethernet Port 2 for a more direct connection to the microRendu.

I may also buy an EMO EN-30 to try between the final FMC & the microRendu. It's safe to say that although I love my LPS-1, - I will never buy another, - choosing instead to play in other areas....

Cheers,

My friend borrow my LPS-1, so that's why I'm saying this. It also make sense that your PS have a positive impact.

I'm looking forward to hear your results of the different planed tests.

Bypassing the switch and your Qnap directly is very interesting.

(Use some of the EMO products).

Hiya,

Yes, It's been fun putting in the Fiber. I do have some reluctance to messing with my QNAP as it is shared with my downstairs neighbor and he's connecting to it with 3 devices, and I'm connecting to it with 4. I don't want to break it. I have good backups, - but I am a bit of newbie navigating around the QNAP OS. The Virtual switch wasn't available until the recent release of 4.2.1 update.

Right now, - I have both Ethernet ports connected, and load balanced into the switch. But yes, - the plan is to pull the upstairs switch, - and run the QNAP Directly to the basement switch, and then Ethernet port 2 into the mRendu.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
OK so my outrageously expensive $6.50 DC to DC adapter plug arrived from Amazon last Friday. This replaced my homemade one inch cable.

After elevating my little USB box to the LPS1 height level the holes lined up and the little adapter plugged right into both devices. the advice Alex!

I got the Sonore DC4 on Saturday and had a significant improvement to the Teradak + LPS-1 combo.

What did you use to level your two devices? I am using Herbie's baby booties under both the microRendu & the LPS-1: both are too small, (or at least the mRendu), to use rollerblock juniors.

What are you all using to underneath your LPS-1s? Or, is everyone mostly using the stock feet?

Thanks Sgr for your detailed answer. This is helpful to me as I was looking for some kind of weight to stabilize the LPS-1 on the cones as it keeps moving for the slightest move in my cables. I will check the supersonic stabilizer maybe this is what I need. I was also looking at the Shunmook mpingo discs, but I think they are a bit pricey for the application and may not be what I need for stabilization purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I am using a combo of Walker discs and Mapleshade HeavyHat brass cones that I've turned upside down & used Herbie's dots underneath.... I agree about adding weight to the top helps. Also, - I am using ERS paper in a bunch of locations, but not on the microRendu or the LPS-1, but on my F-1 USB to SPDIF converter, & the TP-Link FMCs

• 6 months later...
On 7/2/2017 at 4:48 PM, MikeyFresh said:

I finally pried away the LPS-1 from it's primary duty powering the microRendu a few days ago, after a total s

This IsolatorPi also then entails the use of two separate power supplies, one for the RPi3 itself and another for the DAC "HAT". The RPi3 is too power hungry at boot up for typical use with the LPS-1, however when

In keeping with the IsolatorPi's design ethos, I simply had to pull out the big-gun LPS-1 to add full isolation from the AC.

Hi,

This is really interesting..... Last night, a friend brought round his razberriPi with a SPDIF board & his 5v JameCo LPS with a modded Canare quad cable. We pulled out my mRendu and plugged it in and it sounded pretty good. Then we tried the LPS-1 and wow, - quite a significant difference with truer sounding instruments, much better instrument separation, - and more natural instrument "weight" in the mids & lower mids. The LPS-1 is just awesome.

Then, we plugged the mRendu back in with the LPS-1 and the F-1 DDC and it completely blew away the razberri, even with the LPS-1.

I am impressed with the razberri Pi stuff, and certainly, - this one that we tried didn't have the Pro + SPDIF board either....  But at least in this case, - the Pi doesn't play on the same field as the mRendu + F-1 combo.

Cheers,