IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

Lowering of noise is perceived as increase in volume, even though actual volume is the same. This also enables us to listen actually louder, b/c much of what bothers us at louder volumes is the perception of more noise, even if we aren't specifically aware of the noise per se.

When I switched to a AC balanced supply, or installed the Intona/Mutecs, the noise tanked, and I would increase the volume to hear instruments with better clarity.

If members report to lower the volume, would it be possible that the volume increase is causing disturbing artifacts of another kind?

Or maybe the music selection wasn't that good to begin with, time of day, other reasons that causes annoyance.

Reduction of noise increases the level of the noticeable bass, since this has the greatest energy in music, maybe that's it. By reducing electrical noise at the lower frequencies, seems to increase the bass, since it's not opposed by 'opposing' signals like leakage currents.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

In other words , an improved dynamic range. I wonder if it also has something to do with instantaneous current capabilities, as the manufacturers of the higher quality electrolytic capacitors used in amplifier power supplies for energy storage specify "slew rate"

The LPS-1 supplies the Microrendu as well as the USB power for the DAC. Since the LPS-1 is more or less a close to zero output impedance (compared to a standard 1A PSU), no matter what the load did, the voltage would remain unmoved and remain stable, regardless of current loading (subject of course to short circuit protection).

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA