IGNORED

New Amarra 4

14 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

I actually had little problem with A3. It was A4 that gave me all the problems, once they delinked iTunes completely. Perhaps I was one of those who could live with tethering iTunes to A3.

I actually ended up using Amarra HiFi which is bound to iTunes.  The sound seemed the same as A3, and cost only $25 on sale.  HiFi worked fairly well.  But it struggled with large libraries in terms of long pauses between tracks, which was annoying.  But it was otherwise stable and I could use iTunes normally.  A4 is a sound upgrade to HiFi, and it appears HiFi no longer works when I upgraded to Sierra.

My drumbeat remains for SS to provide an iTunes integration mode option for Luxe.  That would be the best of both worlds....

As for Wave Arts Tube Saturator 2, the developer said some customers prefer the free vintage version's sound - so give both a try.

Just now, Munchoba said:

Can someone tell me how to use A4 Luxe in Browser mode only?

Would this eliminate the library management?

thanks

On a Mac at least, in the "Window" menu bar option, select "launch in browser mode."  Set Chrome as your default browser.  Relaunch Luxe.  It should then launch in Chrome.

And no, it does absolutely nothing to solve the library management issue :)

I gave Tube Saturator 2 ($99) and the free vintage version a whirl last night.  I like them both, finding the paid version a bit smoother.  Setting the A+ upsampling to power of 2 did cause everything to crash with the Tube Saturator plugins activated.  Not sure why.

I'm still hooked on the Luxe browser mode sound, its superior.  But am happy to have A+ w/ the free Wave Arts Vintage saturator as a stress free alternative.  $99 feels a tad steep for a subtle improvement over the free version, especially given A+ only costs $70 to start with.

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

The plugin is most likely limited to 192kHz. In the prefs of A+ you can set an upper limit for the DAC resolution (that will of course not limit the DAC but acts as an upper limit for upsampling).

preferences -> Audio System -> max. sample rate limit

"superior"? In terms of what?

It's what you personally prefer with your setup, isn't it? ?

Sure, of course, its inherent to any post in these forums that its our personal, subjective opinion.  I was not referring to the sound being superior on a cosmic level :)

8 hours ago, tipunch said:

@DancingSea

have u tried with both PSP PreQursor2 and TubeSaturator2 in same time? (With my recomended

settings?)

Unfortunately,  the PreQursor2 trial ran out before I could try it with TubeSaturator2.  But in general, I would be disinclined to spend $170 on plugins for the $70 A+.  I've written to PSP asking for another trial, but they haven't responded.  I could see using it with the free version of Tube Saturator.....

On 7/11/2017 at 3:56 AM, ddalmas said:

Hi foodfiend ...i believe that a very good alternative remains A+ !already without audio units! but when you add audio units well the things become seriously alternative to A4 0r luxe! i have reached a very good sound with some plugins ,a sound that is very close to A4, if not better, but above all FREEDOM is a great concept and A+ leaves freedom to choose by yourself! A4 stays to a good tyranny as A+ stays to a nice democracy...what would you choose for your life my friend? Me i am .i have been ,and i always wanna be  a free man!

ciaociao

Aloha ddalmas!  What's your current recipe of A+ plugins?

6 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

:D ...

maybe that's due to language barriers.

In my native language I  would use the word "superiority" with regard to a capacity or a property (or the power) of something. With regard to my subjetive opinion I would say "I like X better than Y" or "I prefer X over Y" or so...

But I certainly don't want to split hairs ... no worries! ;)

Rest assured, even within a group of native speakers, there can be many interpretations of what a given phrase means.  Such is the human condition.  You write english very well, I never would've guessed its not your native language.....

With a topic such as this, it can only be subjective given the number of variables.  We all have different equipment and different personal tastes.  The number of combinations is endless.

2 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

Since I've switched back and forth from the standard version (registered) to Luxe (trial) a number of times and therefore had to de-activate and re-activate my standard registration a few times I got a message that my computer is now blocked from registration. I have to write an Email to Sonic Studio support.

I am not going to do that.

I've completely trashed this piece of nonsense.

Oh my.  I'd like the refer you to the ddalmas memorial support group for debriefing ;)

I've had the "blocked from registration" thing happen as well.  Its an easy fix for the willing.

Hopefully Amarra's ultimate demise in your world will not stop your valuable contributions to this thread.  Ciao!

3 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Has anyone registered Amarra 4 Luxe yet?

Does it save the library in browser mode?

I sure hope so 'cause scanning it each opening on the evaluation copy in browser mode is hours long and while the sound quality is better than just A4 it's not enough to make up for the hassle of a re-scan.

Greg

SS told me you have to manually save it.  Which is silly of course.  On a Mac, in the "Window" menu bar option, there should be a "save".  Maybe try loading in a few CD's worth to see if the save thing works.

I continue with my player approach, can load 20 CD's in under a minute.

9 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Doesn't seem to work--it just sits and spins. It's even worse than plain A4!:(

Can you quickly remind me how to load 20 CDs in under a minute, please?

Greg

I have a folder on my desktop called "Amarra Selections".  I use iTunes to navigate my large collection.  I drag the evening's selection from iTunes into the "Amarra Selections" folder.  In Amarra, I add "Amarra Selections" to the library.  20 CD's is lightning fast.  3500 tracks takes under 5 minutes.  I don't touch the scan iTunes feature with a 10' poll as it takes forever, a significant portion will be tossed into various artists, and otherwise they'll be lots of mayhem.

I realize Amarra 4 has a very insufficient library management system.  I don't try to make it be what its not, and likely never will be.  But it does handle small batches fairly well, and works great as a player.

As for my own psychology, I'm convinced more than ever that the quest for perfect sound is inherently imperfect.  My Hawaiian neighbors have a $200 Walmart sound system and no one, I repeat no one, has more fun listening to music than they do.

I joined CA about a year ago.  I've learned a great deal and my system never sounded better.  My system has also never been less fun to listen to.  I'm obsessed with sound quality like never before - at the great expense of fun and enjoyment.

Yes, iTunes filled with AAC 256 doesn't sound good to me anymore.  But before CA, it sounded great because I didn't know any better.  And Lord knows, it was way more fun than this dark quagmire of expensive cables, obscure USB devices, and praying I don't hear a harsh digital tone.

Amarra is not the problem.  We are the problem!

3 hours ago, ddalmas said:

hi spherical cow ...please tell me what is so good in the iTunes sound?? It is a mess of plastic and out of phase frequencies so please explain better your sensations and how you got iTunes work...maybe i have lost something about it and i would be very pleased to discover it again

many thks

ciaociao

There is the $10 BitPerfect which improves the iTunes sound.  As I tire of this whole "audiophile player" song and dance, I'm going to be spending more time with BitPerfect.  I'm seeking to get back to the music, and away from fretting over the sound so much.  

For what its worth, Paul McGowan - the owner, CEO and chief architect of PS Audio - uses iTunes with BitPerfect to test their creations, as well as his personal listening.

Amarra 4 of course sounds better, but its not as much fun.  I'm seeking to get back to the fun part... 

2 hours ago, flatmap said:

Amarra 4 does make contact with sonicstudio.com (for update) and softworkz.com (for activation).  Of course I allow those connections along with connections to discogs and googleapi.  I really don't believe that is what this is about.

Many sessions bring connection attempts to a wide variety of servers in different countries (like the aforementioned in Singapore and Australia).  It is extremely concerning in my opinion, expecially to those servers with inexplicable roles that are on the blocklist.  I certainly don't feel comfortable launching the app without a network monitor running.

Very much hoping to hear a reassuring explanation, but I'm starting to feel there is some errant "cut-and-paste code that has squeaked into production.

I suggest calling or writing to Sonic Studios and asking them what's gong on.  None of us here will be able to offer an explanation.

Maybe we can get an online petition together to create an iTunes integrated mode?  This thread has had 65K views, if a fraction of that signed the petition, maybe Sonic Studio would finally listen?

A3 worked with iTunes, right?

33 minutes ago, tipunch said:

Not for me!

iTunes is a nightmare too... every new version = new bugs

Look at Audirvana+, iTunes is a nightmare for Damien Plisson

And problems with audio formats (DSD, FLAC...)

No, please NO!

I think the idea is to have an option.  For me, iTunes has always worked very well.  For those that don't want iTunes, they can choose to live through the library management chaos that is A4!  Main thing is choice.

Last night I listened to DIana Krall's "Live in Paris" as well as The Grateful Dead "Go To Nassau" (best Althea ever) using Fidelia and the Wave Arts Vintage Tube simulator (free).  I preferred this combo to A+ with the plugins.  Actually never realized Fidelia could use plugins ala A+, figured it out by accident, duh!

First, I greatly prefer Fidelia's native sound vs A+ to begin with.  The tube simulator added a nice softness that was pleasing. Fidelia is no walk in the part when it comes to library management, but it does connect to my entire iTunes library, with no loading required, its all there upon launch.  I use iTunes to pick what I want to hear, and then use the Fidelia search box to locate and play in Fidelia.

Compared it to A4 Luxe in browser mode (Chrome).  From an audiophile perspective, A4 is better, but Fidelia with the Wave Art Tube simulator was very musical.  I'd call it more different than categorically better.  A4 more detailed, but the smoothness of the tubes provides something A4 Luxe cannot.  And I prefer the Wave Arts EQ to the more complex EQ in A4 Luxe.  I like having 3 simple knobs to turn, and I could never really find a good way to adjust the gain in A4, something that is very easy with Wave Arts.

I plan to use both players.  This exploration has pushed A+ further down the food chain for me.

16 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

Good on you, DancingSea. By the way, Fidelia has always supported audio plug-ins, and yes, I also do prefer the sound of Fidelia over A+. 

Yes, I just never paid attention to the "effects" boxes on the bottom of the interface.  I sent an email to [email protected], to ask what's up with Fidelia.  So we'll see what he says, if anything.

The vintage tube plugin took Fidelia to another level for me....

1 hour ago, Data said:

OK so bit perfect and puremusic are the options then that are the ones to go for.

I think they are not realy pricey so i might just go and by both to try and see what best voor my set up then.

Thanks

Bit Perfect works very well with iTunes and sounds "ok".  To me, both A4 Luxe and Fidelia sound better.  

I bought some AudioQuest MacKenzie XLR cables which have really improved my system.  Now I can really hear how far A4 Luxe (browser mode) has separated itself from the pack sound wise.  Which is both great and nerve racking because of the well trodden library management complaints.

I have not tried Pure Music.  There are download links for Fidelia if you already have a license, but its otherwise disappeared.

Roon, while very expensive, is a completely different beast.  It imports your iTunes library and brings into its own library management world - which is different and very good.

3 hours ago, NickDun said:

What this exercise has taught me is that the quality of production of the various recordings is so variable that in the end I was spending more time compensating for that than just enjoying the mastery of the musicians, so I found something that does the best job of getting the bits to the DAC and then let the system take it from there.

Very wise!

5 minutes ago, mneveux said:

On the front of the main interface, on the bottom left is an "effects" or "sound effects" option.  Something like that.  Anyway, it access the same VST/ AU plugins that Audrivana uses...  Do you know how to add such plugins?