IGNORED

New Amarra 4

Received V231 beta link today and tested.

After update, tried to scan for music after clear songs, then Amarra 4 started to crash.... no longer able to scan songs...

So I reinstalled V211 which is the most stable version for my use with using folder option for music library.

After V211, Amarra started to show only 102 albums vs totally 317 albums it should show. Then after visiting the setting up page and going back to albums page, it shows 317 albums....

It is getting worse and worse when I receive new betas.... really hoping Amarra 4 to be stable soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Same here!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hello,
It is better a lot. I was able to import all my library of 115'000 tracks. A little bit long 4-5 hours (Audirvana 20 minutes).
Another problem with disks " Various Artists " , Amarra does not see a single disk.
Otherwise it would be necessary to improve metadatas, because more of 15GB, against 1 GB for Audirvana and 5GB for iTunes...
Lack also a function to be able to delete a disk or a track of the library as well as a remote control would be one more...

(Amarra v.233)

Thank you Ralph

On 24 mars 2017 at 11:52 AM, Rodolfo85 said:

The problem whith albums of several cds is still there. Even whith the metadata perfect, amarra doesn't recognise the different cds and mix (disorder) all the tracks.

amarra v.233

Problem still with v.237

• 2 months later...
On 3 juin 2017 at 4:59 PM, copy_of_a said:

Almost all plugins can be played in real time in A+...

RetroQ is an excellent EQ! However, it adds "warmth" and therefore can make the bass somewhat less precise.

RetroQ in fact goes in similar direction... but preQursor2's "analog" pre-amp section is closer to A4 than RetroQ IMHO.

Just insert preQursor2, activate the analog pre-amp section and set the analog drive to your liking (between -15 to +15). You can also activate the EQ-section (without adjusting any frequency of course) as this also slightly affetcs the overall sound. I like the analog drive at +5 and the EQ section activated.

Make sure that "SAT" is deactivated because "SAT" is a built in limiter.

Personally I also use the plugin the reduce gain. Output is set to -3db in my case.

Since preQursor2 works with 64-bit double precision floating point computations I also use a Dither plugin in the Audio Unit section of A+ (set to 24bit).

Don't think so. Either it sounds good or not. Whether or not it sounds exactly like A4 is not so important... at least not for me.

On the other hand the kind of stress you are describing is what I am experiencing when listening to A4 all the time ... in a different way. A4 doesn't provide hog mode and it's impossible to control all the services/processes of the OS that may interfere with the sound. This is why I always wonder "is there irregular noise or not... is there some crackling or not?"

I can live with a lot of A4's limitations. But the missing hog mode is the most important factor why I regard A4 almost "unusable". I'm not quite sure yet but I also think A4 doesn't play from RAM either. Hog mode and playback from RAM are two core features that turn an arbitrary player app into a serious audiophile player regardless of its sound signature.

Waouw!!!

preQursor2 is incredible!!!

And yes is very close to A4 (better?)

Thank you copy_of_a

My best settings (for the moment) is "pure preamp" in the preset

Best regards

Hello,

The best setting for me closest to Amarra 4:

5937ae3ad5422_presetA4.thumb.png.fe65b04ed9ed728c983520b2a7f0b8bc.png

As DancingSea I prefer the gain in +10 (+5 is not enough and +15 is too much)

For those who already have the Luxe version: How are the SQ of DSD files (via DOP)?

Cause with Amarra 4, I have far too much breath noise?

Best regards

12 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

I've been using Luxe for the past couple of weeks.  There are a few minor improvements to the functionality, but it largely remains the same as A4.  Two large, and I find helpful differences are the EQ and the iOS remote - both of which work fairly well.  I like being able to easily tweak sound with the EQ, and the iOS remote saves me a trip across the room.  For that reason, I will upgrade to Luxe.  The caveat being it remains an idiot savant with many afore mentioned functional shortcomings.

Thank you DancingSea,

But, how are the SQ with DSD files (via DOP)?
Best regards

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Thus copy_of_a, please do share your entire A+ recipe, ingredients, cooking times, and techniques. With my preqursor2 trial running out in a week, it would be great to add the magic sauce before all turns back into a pumpkin.

+1

14 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

I am curious if Amarra updated/ improved their sound engine with A4.  Or is it just the same sound engine as A3/ SQ etc with a more pleasing user interface - visually that is?

I don't see anything on the Sonic Studio touting "a new and improved sound engine."  Its all about their new interface and related features.  One would think that if the sound engine was improved, they would list that as a main selling point.

So maybe my perception that A4 sounds better the Amarra SQ, or Amarra 3/ HiFi is just an illusion, a product of expectation bias?

Does anyone know if A4 has a new sound engine?

I don't know, but for me too,

Amarra 4 have a better sound als Amarra 3!!!

44 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Ok, had a chance for a good listening session on this breezy, sublime Maui evening.  I did all of copy_of_a's  A+ settings.  Did all of his prequorsor2 settings, though followed his advice to make it more Amarra like by putting saturation at 12.  Couldn't get the dither plugin to work.  The Saturation Knob didn't work as well.  Settled on the Nick Crow Lab Tube Driver which I enabled and left the settings as they came, mostly because even if I read the manual, I don't know enough about sound to know what most of the knobs do sound wise.

The other twist is that today arrived the iFi Nano iUSB 3.0 USB reclocker, purifier, etc.  Was on sale for $169.  The PS Audio LANRover is arriving Thursday for audition.

Anyway, all of copy_of_a's settings, the tube driver, and the iFi Nano resulted in a positively sublime listening experience with Diana Krall's "Live In Paris".  There is not much more I can ask out audio than what I heard tonight.  Or at least I don't know enough to ask any more.

The iFi smoothed out the digital harshness, yet remained lively with a terrific soundstage - a smidge bright but not a problem.  This combined with the copy_of_a revelations made A+ sound so lovely, unlike I've ever heard it.

The LANRover is supposed to be even more analog/ tube like.  So we shall see.

Thanks again to copy_of_a, ddalmas and everyone else for this very interesting exploration.  Amarra 4 Luxe still sounds great.  But the difference now is negligible to my ears.  Only wish I leapt on prequorsor2 when copy_of_a first shared the half price deal.

Hello DancingSea,

Every years I'm sailing in the Caribbean... One day I shall come until Maui it is certain...

Can you please share your best settings too?

A simple screenshot is already good...

Thank you a lot for all your reports and have a nice weather ;-)

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

You are always welcome on Maui!  Its such a long ocean journey to get here, and the seas way more serious than the Caribbean, that sailing is not particularly popular on Maui.  We are the windsurf/ kite surf/ surfing capital of the universe, stand up paddle, and to a much lesser extent sea kayaking along the shore.  Our channels have extremely strong currents, making open ocean activities dangerous - the very conditions that make surfing so great.  Most are limited to whale watching on large powered boats, though a few hard core sailers make it here.  Of course along the shore there's snorkel trips, etc.

As for the settings, I did the exact A+/ preqursor2 copy_of_a settings.  Only I boosted the prequorsor2 saturation to 12 (per his suggestion to make it like Amarra).  I left the Nick Crow Lab Tube Driver on its factory settings, though may begin to play with it, as well as try some of the other tube plugins.  

I do feel the iFi Nano iUSB 3.0 played a big part in my positive experience.  My belief is that its reclocking, regenerating, and purifying of the usb signal made the effects of prequorsor2 and the tube driver more apparent.  The iFi removed the digital harshness that I find so offensive and was trying to fruitlessly solve via music players like A4 and A+.  I'm left to conclude that its a waste of time to try and achieve a more analog type sound out of computer without one the better USB treatment devices like the Wyred 4 Sound RUR, ISO Regan, iFi Nano/ Micro, or the PS Audio LANRover.

I will continue to listen to prequorsor2 until my trial runs out in a week.  If last night's experience continue's, I will gladly pay for prequorsor2 and debate whether or not to upgrade to A4 Luxe from A4.  Luxe, at least for my purposes, only adds the remote and the EQ with its presets and ability to make your own adjustments in real time.  The Luxe sounds is the same as A4.

Thanks to copy_of_a parting of the red sea, I can see the promised land with A+, something I never thought I'd say.  I'll still use A4 of course because it sounds so great.  But A+ is just so much less stress and effort!

OK, thanks again

YEEEESSSSS!!!!

I finally managed to copy the famous sound of Amarra 4 with 2 plugins:

PSP PreQursor 2: just preamp on +12

and Wave TubeSaturator2: just saturation on 0

Put the settings as on the image:

A4.thumb.jpg.59f83897b086efdcfa705001a0ea6b89.jpg

I had tried min 30 plugins...;)

19 minutes ago, ddalmas said:

Hi Tipunch.... did you tried the free version of tube saturator?tube sturator vintage.

Hi ddalmas,

Yes, it is also very good. But it uses much more CPU, that is why Wave are made the version 2...

But why not if you have a big CPU...

Have you tried? What do you think?

Best regards

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

very good! looks pretty much as my setup trying to recreate Amarra4 sound (I am using PSP Mix Saturator 2, though). The saturation TubeSat2 adds with the 12AU7 setting with drive set to zero is also extremely similar to the saturation I am applying with my settings (in terms of the kind and the amount of saturation).

With the drive set to zero 12AX7 sounds "bolder" (richer) and also affects high frequencies a bit more compared to 12AU7. Personally I like 12AU7 better. Then again, even when the drive is set to zero you can fine tune the amount of saturation applied with the dry/wet knob... in case you want to reduce the "richness" of the 12AX7 effect.

Wave Arts TubeSaturator2 is in fact a great plugin! IMHO certainly the best of the few that have been posted in this thread.

Hello copy_of_a,

Thank you very much for your feedback and your explanation^_^

Best regards

55 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Which version of A+ are you guys using?  I have 2.6.8.  After installing the TubeSaturators and activating them in the AU settings, A+ refused to play, would quit after one second.  Ever since, A+ won't play at all with even the AU settings activated, even if I don't select a plugin!  I deleted A+ and reinstalled, same thing.  Ugh.

Hello DancingSea,

Audirvana 2.6.3 and you can download it here...

or Audirvana 2.6.4 is same as 2.6.3 here

Those versions are for me very good balanced...

The versions later give me only problems for my config...

Best regards

On 6 juillet 2017 at 4:28 PM, tipunch said:

YEEEESSSSS!!!!

I finally managed to copy the famous sound of Amarra 4 with 2 plugins:

PSP PreQursor 2: just preamp on +12

and Wave TubeSaturator2: just saturation on 0

Put the settings as on the image:

A4.thumb.jpg.59f83897b086efdcfa705001a0ea6b89.jpg

I had tried min 30 plugins...;)

DancingSea,

Those settings with Equalisation on with bass +1db (on TubeSaturator2) is the exactely same sound of Amarra4...

Please try it!!!

1 hour ago, emuzaman said:

those plug ins recipes not for purists... don’t wannabe, wannabes ?

What a joke!:P

The proof which Amarra modify the sound: Audirvana with (professionals) plugins, we obtain the same sound!

Who's the wannabe?;)