IGNORED

Article: Holo Audio Spring Level 3 Kitsune Tuned Edition R2R DAC Review

Good summary Ted. But a little confusing in that 'If your library of great favorite music is mostly or all PCM, then I would investigate the Holo Audio...The Holo Audio ability to do DSD512 with the microRendu is a real value to me...that does PCM and DSD equally well

So Holo is one of sev. DACs that are an exc choice for PCM only; yet does DSD just as well as PCM, but with other choices to consider given budget (T&A, Exasound, Fore).

Is this what you're saying Ted?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

There are excellent DAC choices for PCM and excellent choices for DSD. I feel the Holo falls into both camps.

Thanks Ted.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Ted, do you know if Singxer's going to be able to do DSD512 via I2S?

I do not know. They have DSD256 printed on the front of their unit. :)

I see now. Thx

,I have heard from a reliable source that the Su-1 hardware is capable of DSD512.>

That would be great if so.

I decided to give this setup a try. Ordered the Level 3 with fuse upgrade and the Su-1. I'll have that and a uR to compare to. Fun times ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm awaiting the Spring, but got the SU-1. Using the spdif input for now. However, the iFi Micro isn't showing up in HQP. I have the fmc fiber to uR, USB out to spdif on SU-1, then into the Micro's spdif input. Any idea's why this isn't working?

edit: The blue Power and DSD is lit up. And it's visible under ASIO, but not NAA despite rebooting it mult. times

Chris, the HQP needs to see the SU-1, not the iFi.

I see. Though the SU-1 isn't showing up either under Devices.

• 3 weeks later...
Pardon me if this is a silly question. But can I simply connect my MacBook Pro notebook to this DAC via USB and it will play my music files?

Yes.

• 1 month later...
Alex,

The Holo dac was certified direct DSD (native) several months ago (also see Sonicorbiter Native DSD thread). This means the HQP should be set to SDM none and the microRendu set to the latest update (assuming Jesus's update process is working now, or that it was shipped with the latest when you ordered it). It most definitely does SDM none (up to DSD512). The Singxer is a completely separate issue here. I'm talking direct USB connection from microRendu. Linux. And yes a Windows NAA also does direct, but that is not a microRendu issue.

Your HQP settings should look like this (copied as late as 10 min ago):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32238[/ATTACH]

Ted, I only see ASDM7 period, no 512+fs...the only two similar are DSD5v2 256+fs and DSD7 256+fs. SDM to None...no SU1, only MR and Intona.

Chris, you must have an older version of HQP. See my settings here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32292[/ATTACH]

What version do you have working Ted?

It's 3.14.4 Windows 10.

Ah, running older 3.13. Upgrading now. Thx!

• 2 months later...

That's great news Ted and Tim.  But I need it to work with the Microrendu as my computer is down in the basement.  But really great progress guys!

Thanks for all the work!

Chris

I have no doubt you guys will get there Ted! ;)  (Right now, I'm not in any immed. hurry.  I have 9 German Shepherd puppies occupying my front room, so I basically have no room for a proper speaker setup anyway.  So you have 5-6 wks. to work this through! LOL!! )

IMG_0610.jpg