IGNORED

Add headphone jack to DacMagic?

My Cambridge Audio DacMagic is the earlier model to which I would love to be able to add a headphone jack to.

It has a set of RCA outputs marked unbalanced - would utilizing these be a good way to achieve my goal or is there a better option (or am I out of luck with this model DAC) ?

Any insight is much appreciated!

TIA

2016-10-02 07.36.32.jpg

Re:

Cambridge Audio Azure 840A

Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Win 10 on Mac Pro 5.1

Polk Audio ATiA3 x4

Polk Audio PSW110

You could run it through a Schiit Magni 2 for $99:

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

So, I take it I will need some type of headphone amplifier between the unbalanced RCA output jacks and the headphones?

Please excuse my ignorance, I have never attempted anything like this before

Re:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Win 10 on Mac Pro 5.1

Polk Audio ATiA3 x4

Polk Audio PSW110

You will need some way to provide volume control.

Depending on the headphone sensitivity it could possibly be a passive control ($7 up) or you may need an active headphone amp.

Prices for an amp will also depend on the headphones you wish to drive and the quality of sound you want.

I'm really enjoying my new Meier Jazz ff, with crossfeed that moderates the extreme right-left of headphones.

Greg

So, I take it I will need some type of headphone amplifier between the unbalanced RCA output jacks and the headphones?

Please excuse my ignorance, I have never attempted anything like this before

Is the dac balanced? If it is, you may not be able to have balanced and single ended cables plugged in at the same time. If your preamp has a tape loop, you can use that to get the signal to a headphone amp.

Sorry for the simple question but: what is your DacMagic currently connected to? If you have it connected to your Azur 840A, doesn't that have a headphone jack integrated on the front of the unit? Apologies if I misunderstood your question, but wanted to get a more complete picture of how your system is currently connected.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

According to the manual, you can have the unbalanced and balanced outputs connected at the same time. I second the Magni 2 recommendation. It's a much nicer headphone jack than you normally find built in to components, giving powerful bass without distortion and a wide range of gain for different kinds of headphones.

Sorry for the simple question but: what is your DacMagic currently connected to? If you have it connected to your Azur 840A, doesn't that have a headphone jack integrated on the front of the unit? Apologies if I misunderstood your question, but wanted to get a more complete picture of how your system is currently connected.

The amp is thirty feet away.

Re:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Win 10 on Mac Pro 5.1

Polk Audio ATiA3 x4

Polk Audio PSW110

According to the manual, you can have the unbalanced and balanced outputs connected at the same time. I second the Magni 2 recommendation. It's a much nicer headphone jack than you normally find built in to components, giving powerful bass without distortion and a wide range of gain for different kinds of headphones.

Yes, I confirmed that at the CA website, thanks, and I will take the Magni 2 in serious consideration

Re:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Win 10 on Mac Pro 5.1

Polk Audio ATiA3 x4

Polk Audio PSW110