IGNORED

Article: AURALiC ARIES MINI and Lightning DS Review

With all due respect, you're recommending a solution for the learned and computer savvy audiophile, not necessarily the target audience for the ARIES MINI.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I had Aries mini + sbooster for 8 moths and in the end I must say that Raspberry 3/Digi+ board/IFI iPower/Max2play OS/LMS(Logitech media server) sounds better and still you can use it via Wifi(actually it sounds better over Wifi). If you need also DAC, still I think that there are much better choices like Raspberry 3/Digi+ board/IFI iPower/Max2play/LMS + Shiit Modi Multibit DAC 250$. And if you need to spend this kind of money for streamer just go with Sonore microRendu!

All nice suggestions except for the fact they are either not for the target market of the ARIES MINI or they aren't 1:1 comparable products.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

@The Computer Audiophile:

While I would blush a little to be called one (computer savvy audiophile), I probably am one. Given that you published this review here on this site, your readers are probably more like me than the so-called "target audience for the Aries Mini." And yet, the Aries Mini appealed to me tremendously, and I bought one.

My point is that given your positive review of the Aries Mini, it would have behooved you to also point out how well it scales for, and therefore may be applicable to, those with more high-end aspirations, and yes, more savvy. I use the Aries Mini in a system that looks more familiar to a CA reader, like shown below.

Playback chain:

Synology DS213 NAS running MinimServer FMC (TP-Link MC200CM) FMC Auralic Aries Mini Ayre Codex Cavalli Liquid Gold HD800 headphones

And this does not even cover my current experiments with an Intona, W4S Recovery, Curious cables, etc. The Aries Mini holds its own very well in this setup. Moreover, and to the point of scalability, it conveys the impact of improvements in the chain (like the additon of an LPS, network and USB isolation, better external DACs) without itself becoming a bottleneck.

I realize you're using the term target audience to mirror Auralic's own marketing. But Auralic have to walk a fine line so as not to cannibalize sales for their other products like the Aries and the Altair.

On this forum, we should feel no constraint. The Aries Mini is a wonderful product, for non-audiophiles and computer audiophiles alike!

Hi @austinpop - With over 1.5 million unique readers from nearly every country on earth, and knowing that less than 1% of these readers post in the forum, I'm not sure your assessment of the CA readership is correct. Yes, the active CA user community tends to be computer savvy and understand the differences between a UPnP server, renderer, and control point. But, the read-only users tend to get intimidated by the technical aspects that these readers enjoy. In addition, many readers come to CA from Google search results. These readers have never heard of anything other than Bose and Sonos (on a good day). Writing an article that can be digested by those readers, about a product designed for those readers, was my main goal here. At several thousand words, I had to draw the line somewhere and cut out some of my writing that addressed a more technical audience. I also knew that people would comment and ask more technical questions, this way a deeper discussion could take place below the review. One example of this is your comment describing the MINI's use as a higher end component. I touched on the fact that the MINI shouldn't be a bottleneck, and you bolstered this opinion. This is great information for people, that I didn't include in the review.

The term "target audience / market" has been around a lot longer than AURALiC or even I have existed. If they happen to be using it in their marketing it is coincidental to my use in this review. Using the term just makes sense. With respect to the company walking a fine line and cannibalizing products - Steve Jobs was right when he said, cannibalize your own products before someone else does. I don't speak for AURALiC and don't really know the company's thoughts on the matter.

I agree with you that there is no constraint on the use of the product. Different horses for different courses.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm very happy to read you enjoy the MINI so much and have taken advantage of methods to raise your system sound quality with ancillary products. Very cool.

For what it is price is too high. You can have Raspberry Pi 3 for 35$, HiFiBerry Digi+ for 40$ and IFi iPower for 50$ .That is 125$ in total and still it sounds better than Aries mini 500$ .That is just not good value. Even if you add Shitt Modi Multibit 250$ it is still 375$. Even if you add 300$ linear power supply for the aries mini it can't match Raspberry rig. With linear power supply we arfe getting to 800$ and for less you can have microRendu 690$(with IFi iPower)

OK now I see what you're saying. You are saying apples are better than oranges. Not Apple B is better than Apple C. No worries.

Strange reply :-) . All of them are just "streamers" and they do the same job. How did you come up with apples and oranges :-)

If you view them all as just "streamers" that's ok, just not how I view them. Some require computer savvy for installation, some are digital only,, the MINI has an entire ecosystem plus analog outpu and real product support etc.. Looking at the products as a whole they are apples and oranges.

P.S. I'm not saying the MINI is for everyone. I have all the products you mention and like all of them. Different horses for different courses.

Let's not limit our discussion on this in a way that plays to the extremes of novice versus 'phile when talking about who the product is for. Lots of people in the middle that don't have 5,000 posts but read and comment all the time like myself. Matter of fact, I will ask one of those questions -

Straight up, how do I get music onto the thing? If I have an internal drive in the MINI, how do I load that from a download source (HD Tracks) or a CD rip? Similarly, what is the most efficient way to do that if I connect the MINI to an external USB drive? (or should that external USB drive be connected to a router somewhere in my home so that another computer can see it as storage). As I am considering an Aries when they do an update to the unit some time this year I want to understand what I am getting into and how to manage it.

Chris, very thorough review as always and your personal "voice" is appreciated in showing the the character of the item under review.

If you have an internal drive in the MINI, you can copy music to is over your network (it shows up as a shared drive automatically on Macs), or if you connect a USB drive it can copy music from that USB drive to the internal drive. You could also attach a large USB drive to the MINI and it will just use that without an internal drive. Adding new music would be done by disconnecting the USB drive, connecting it to your computer and copying the new music, then reconnecting it to the MINI. You could attach a drive to a router then tell the MINI to use that, but performance may suffer depending on the router.

If all your music fits on an internal drive in the MINI, I would copy new music over the network (drag and drop), and call it a day. Very simple.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words.

Nice review.

The Sonos vs. Aries Mini comparison is really only valid if comparing the Sonos Connect into an existing speaker system.

I have three Sonos speakers (and a connect) and these get more playtime than anything else I have. The usability for Sonos is unmatched (my wife and daughter have no difficulty with it and easily navigate my local NAS collection of tracks, as well as streaming services to which I subscribe: SiriusXM, Spotify and Tidal, plus internet radio versions of local stations).

With the Aries Mini (or Connect), one has to turn on the amp, select the right inputs on it and the outboard DAC, et al. It's a first-world problem, no doubt, but ever since I placed a Sonos Play:5 in the loving room, the 2-channel system only gets used when I am alone and am "critically listening". For most music listening, the Play:5 sounds fantastic and the synching between other Sonos speakers is flawless.

One electrical plug and no other wires or boxes.

Perhaps AURALiC will release a speaker with a MINI built-in, then a comparison to the Play:5 would be in order. I've never heard the company discuss releasing a speaker, but it would be really cool.

I have several friends with Sonos and they love it. The Sonos soundbar is a hit with them, but they only pretend to care about quality when I'm in the room :~)

I am quite grown up and prefer not to support a treasonous, tax-dogging, sweat-shop operating, POS of a company that makes overpriced, overrated products and rakes in obscene profits off the labor of the poor and the deluded that buy into their devious marketing scheme........it has nothing to do with sound. BTW, I've used streaming devices with controller apps that are supported on Android & IOS. If you think using a controller app that runs on IOS sounds better than a controller app that runs on Android you might want to see a doctor, at the very least your ears are playing tricks on you.

Wow Arthur - I hope you make your own clothes, grow your own food, are your own doctor etc... It's going to be a difficult life not supporting a company that as you say, "treasonous, tax-dogging, sweat-shop operating, POS of a company that makes overpriced, overrated products and rakes in obscene profits off the labor of the poor and the deluded that buy into their devious marketing scheme"

By the way, the computing device you typed your comments into was made by who? Made where?

P.S. Maybe I missed it, but I don't believe Apple has been found guilty of treason, has it?

There are plenty of companies I don't buy from or do business with because I disagree with their policies, processes or politics. I feel Apple is one of the biggest offenders in the tech world and it's my prerogative to vote with my wallet. You, sir, can do whatever you want. I also assume, perhaps I'm wrong, that I have a right to voice my opinion on this site. Am I wrong Chris?

Of course all opinions are welcomed here at CA and I like that you vote with your wallet. I just think your vilification of Apple is a bit hypocritical if you're not going to vilify the other companies doing the same things. Also, you're a bit over the top calling Apple treasonous. The company's tax measures are 100% legal here in the US. If I new how to or if I could do what it does with respect to keeping money from the Government, I'd do the same thing (provided it's legal in the US).