IGNORED

New Computer build. ATX vs Micro?

KDinsmore

Any suggestions here. ATX or go Micro? I'm using this for playback and light normal use (browsing, Word) Thanks.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

My last three PC builds have been either micro-atx or mini-itx PCs. One was a gaming machine (micro-atx) and the other two were audio PCs where one was a micro-atx for Roon/HQplayer and the other a mini-itx for NAS service. I see no good reason to build an ATX machine these days. The benefits are a smaller footprint and flexibility as a micro-atx case will handle a pci-e graphics card if needed.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Thank you. That was my thought as well on the Micro. I built an ATX gaming for my son(which is just way cool) but it's over the top for what I need.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Micro ATX all the way. Have built a gaming rig, HTPC, and a NAS.

I'd love to try a Mini-ITX, but the cabinets don't come without enough bays for a NAS setting.

OT: have you seen the SilverStone 8-bay + internal MiniITX case?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

OT: have you seen the SilverStone 8-bay + internal MiniITX case?

If you mean the SilverStone DS380B then yes... but I had trouble sourcing it. I had also seen a couple of Lian Li cabinets, but they were pretty much in the range of an Intel i7 processor… not an option for a budget NAS build.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther