IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

Another question on the microRendu: is it possible to turn of the "drive service"? I don't know whether it's SMB or something other, but my mR provides some storage_readonly with empty movies, music, and pictures folders.

I don't need this service and frankly, I don't know what it's used for :o) Anyway I want to turn off the according service, is this possible? Currently, I use OS version 2.3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 11:48 PM, vortecjr said:

This is a new operating system made to take advantage of a feature that was to available until a month or two ago. Updating this operating system has already allowed to add a new output mode and will serve as a stable platform for future updates of all the apps on the unit.   

Do you provide some more information on the changes? What version numbers and benefits for the additional or already existing "output modes". I didn't find anything on sonore.us 

1 hour ago, bunno77 said:

What is stopping someone uploading the file to the net so everyone can have it for free instantly? Previous updated where over the net for free with no waiting.... 

I like that attitude: don't like some company's politics? Let's rob it... xD

...I'm still waiting on the release notes to decide whether to buy the update or not.

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

<snip>

Is it illegal or piracy?  Perhaps because the vendor expressed their opinion in the forum.  It would depend on the EULA if there even is one.  Certainly personal sharing is against the vendor's wishes and could void your warranty or their willingness to assist you if you brick your device.  Since Sonore doesn't want it distributed that way, don't do it.  Or if you do, don't expect them to help you if you have issues.

<snip>

I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's debatable, whether EULAs are legally binding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-user_license_agreement). For me, it's rather a question of value I get for the money. If something is worth it, I pay. If not... well, why bother, it'd be worthless for me anyway.

Just now, Johnseye said:

Unless its being offered for free.

I believe EULAs are supposed to be binding, but they are not always enforced.  That's up to the vendor and can be more costly to prosecute than it's worth.

They are not binding where I live, and some other countries I know off. But I think, that's not the point of the initial discussion.

16 minutes ago, firedog said:

Understood. But you do realize it isn't Sonore's responsibility to explain updates of other companies software? Their responsibility is to tell you that 2.5 includes those updates.

Whether it is Sonores responsibility or not, they don't even tell me what "other software" has been updated (at least I didn't find any information here or on sonore.us).

If they have incorporated some new code for their apps, they have a version information. This way I can decide if I want to update or not (see my example below).

5916e298bd9af_ScreenShot2017-05-13at12_39_13.thumb.png.322e43ca6fae2c98b1c291556837769a.png