IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

@vortecjr Curious as to why the 50% increase in price for a replacement microSD card?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

• 5 months later...

Will SO 2.8 contain an update to MPD? Current version of MPD is 0.21.17 (Dec 2019), Rendu's are still on 0.20.20 (May 2018). MPD is still the best sounding player in my system, I always come back to it.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

• 5 weeks later...

As was asked two days ago by BCRich, and still unanswered, are the cards actually shipping yet? I don't think that is too controversial a question (but I could be wrong).

22 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I'll try not to be to controversial:)

Sonic Orbiter 2.8 is for sale and we have shipped a few and are shipping more each day. This is a big update and we are doing this slowly on purpose incase odd things pops up as we move along. FYI this is typical of any of our releases. 

The reason for the new OS is as previously discussed...update apps, fix broken apps, add a new feature(s), and modernize the OS. I recommend people update to Sonic Orbiter 2.8 and keep the older OS as a backup.

SQ wise it sounds great...enjoy! 

Jesus, with the new card will it be like starting with a brand new unit? Will all previous settings be lost such as the Drive Mounter settings and MPD configuration? Trying to prepare myself... Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Using an ultraRendu with SO 2.8 in MPD/DLNA mode and using Rigelian as MPD client. I just ran an update, the first since initially installing and updating with new card, and my MPD database was wiped out in the process. After the update Rigelian could find no albums so I had to rebuild the MPD database. This never happened with any other version of SonicOrbiter. Is this going to be the norm from here forward? If so, this is obviously a major pain and certainly not an improvement.

10 minutes ago, quark said:

Black box😎
actually just ship them inside an Opticalrendu, That should protect them 😉

I was actually considering that route, not so sure now.

41 minutes ago, mtcs said:

I'm curious, has anyone has heard an SQ difference with 2.8 on an ultraRendu? Thanks.

It's hard to say for sure as a meaningful direct comparison is impossible. Nevertheless, using MPD for playback, I think the sound has improved, but don't expect anything dramatic. No complaints about SQ from me. Roon sounds the same, unfortunately.

On 2/11/2020 at 4:57 PM, Axiom05 said:

Using an ultraRendu with SO 2.8 in MPD/DLNA mode and using Rigelian as MPD client. I just ran an update, the first since initially installing and updating with new card, and my MPD database was wiped out in the process. After the update Rigelian could find no albums so I had to rebuild the MPD database. This never happened with any other version of SonicOrbiter. Is this going to be the norm from here forward?

@vortecjr Jesus, I would appreciate some kind of comment on this behavior. As I said, never saw anything like this with 2,5, 2.6 or 2.7.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Early on we had an issue with the MPD update which required a new script. A full replacement of MPD causes the folder to be wiped out. 

But this update did not change MPD at all. I already had version 0.21.19 on my ultraRendu. In fact, I'm not sure what the update did except update the HQ Player app.

12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I'm not sure then.

More info: I just moved my ultraRendu to a different room. After restarting the unit, confirming that it was online and that my DAC was visible in DAC Diagnostics, Rigelian once again indicates no albums present. It's as if the MPD database is only being stored in memory and not written to the micro SD card. If this is what is happening, then 2.8 is not a lot of use for MPD users.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:09 AM, vortecjr said:

Software update available

1. Adds native DSD support for additional devices

Ayre devices
Nagra devices
exD devices

Bricasti devices

Fiio devices

2. Updates upmpdcli

Go to Apps / Software Manager and press update. If you get any errors...wait for the Back to Main menu link to appear at the bottom of the update page and then reboot your unit. When the unit comes up again go to Apps / Software Manager and press update again.

Just updated my ultraRendu, had to run update twice (as anticipated). However, it took forever for the uR to show up on my network again and now there are three versions of Roon Ready listed under installed Apps (two version were listed prior to this update). I still cannot delete the Roon Ready App to try to reinstall it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.59.03 PM.png