IGNORED

Reinstalling original 3.55 PS3 Firmware. Any risks ?

Onkle Je

Hi,

Due to incomprehensible SACD ripping issue (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/ps3-sacd-ripping-strange-issue-help-29615/), I think I'm going to try to reinstall the whole thing from the scratch, including the Original 3.55 PS3 Firmware. That is : "rolling back" from OtherOs to the Original 3.55 firmware (moved into a USB Thumb Drive) though the recovery menu and then reinstalling OtherOs and Sacd Ripper.

I'm so desperate that I cannot think about doing anything else.

Is anyone sees something potentially dangerous in doing this ?

Thanks in advance.

Why not avoid the pain and heartache with the PS3 and rip SACD with a cheaper and more reliable Pioneer/Oppo/Cambridge Blu-Ray Player?

Yes, I've just learned the thing was possible. Would you be kind enough to advise me a cheap and capable Blu-Ray player and give me a link that would explain the whole procedure, then ?

This thread has very valuable information.

IIRC Pioneer BDP-80 is the cheapest unit, but exhibits flaky behaviour. Some of the other Pioneers seem to work better, but best to study the thread.

Least flaky behaviour are found with the Oppo 10n, Cambridge Audio CXU.

In essence, a small USB stick/thumb drive formatted to FAT32 contains a folder with three files inside. The USB stick is inserted in any port on the BD Player, which inserts a special sequence into the player.

A remote computer commands the start of the rip, and the rip becomes a standard ISO file on that computer, which can be processed on its own, or created to dsf/dff files. Ripping can be a GUI program or command line. Windows/Mac doesn't matter.

Once the ripping is complete, the player returns being a normal BD player. It is not necessary to buy a region A, B or C player, anything is fine, however the player needs to contain a Mediatek MTn8580 M8560 chipset.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

This thread has very valuable information.

IIRC Pioneer BDP-80 is the cheapest unit, but exhibits flaky behaviour. Some of the other Pioneers seem to work better, but best to study the thread.

Least flaky behaviour are found with the Oppo 10n, Cambridge Audio CXU.

In essence, a small USB stick/thumb drive formatted to FAT32 contains a folder with three files inside. The USB stick is inserted in any port on the BD Player, which inserts a special sequence into the player.

A remote computer commands the start of the rip, and the rip becomes a standard ISO file on that computer, which can be processed on its own, or created to dsf/dff files. Ripping can be a GUI program or command line. Windows/Mac doesn't matter.

Once the ripping is complete, the player returns being a normal BD player. It is not necessary to buy a region A, B or C player, anything is fine, however the player needs to contain a Mediatek MTn8580 M8560 chipset.

Thank you for your time and advice. However, considering I got my capable PS3 for 150 bucks, those Blu-Ray player solutions go to me from expensive to super expensive. I think I'm going to try making my PS3 do the job a little longer !

Thank you anyway.