IGNORED

SOS!! Error message when trying to stream to appleTV from itunes...

sr3442

Greetings and good day!

After reading countless posts about the ease and fidelity of an audiophile-grade mac-based system, I have finally taken the plunge! I purchased an i-mac, appleTV and a Benchmark DAC with the plan of getting rid of my CD player and ripping my entire collection into the hard drive. However, after nearly a week of frustration, I am now appealing for help to try and get the setup to work.

As for a little background, I do believe I have set up the appleTV correctly as iTunes does recognize it as a "device". When I try to stream a song from itunes through the appleTV, I get this error message:

"An error occurred while connecting to the remote speaker, "apple TV". Unknown error -15,000."

No matter what I do, I cant seem to get this to work. I have googled for a solution, but nothing seems to work that is suggested (I have the latest firmware, I have disabled the firewall, and I have set the IPv6 to off). Am I safe to assume that the Apple TV in my system should function the same as an airport express? When I open the airport utility to check whether the appleTV is recognized, I get a message that "there are no apple wireless devices that can be found". The appleTV is only 5 feet from my imac, so i know its not a signal issue. Furthermore, as I mentioned before, the appleTV shows up on the iTunes screen as an available device.

Any thoughts on solutions?

Many thanks in advance from a guy who is really trying to become a convert!

Shawn

I get the same error from my airport express every once in a while (as does a friend of mine). I can't really pinpoint when the problem occured because there have been so many software changes in my system in the last few months. Unplugging the device fixes the problem- annoying, yes, but tollerable for the frequency that it occurs.

Hi,

I do not have an apple TV but these gentlemen ([email protected]) have a podcast which has been very helpful to me and they are more than willing to help. On this page (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/features/mac_geek_gab/) you can find out more about them. They usually answer direct to you via email. Usually very knowledgable. Hope this helps and do let us know if you solved the problem/learned something useful.

H Shawn - For some reason this problem has got me really interested and it almost feels like a challenge to solve the issue with you. So let's get started.

1. What version of iTunes are you running?

2. The AppleTV is connected via wireless I believe. Can you connect it via an Ethernet cable just to rule out wireless as being an issue?

3. You can also try hard wiring your computer as well, but one at a time first, then both if needed. I just want to figure out if this happens wired and wireless.

4. Can you reset your Apple TV just so you know you are starting with a clean slate?

5. If you add your computer via the Apple TV interface, not as a syncing computer rather as a connected computer. Can you pull songs from your computer via the Apple TV's interface?

I look forward to hearing back.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

saw this thread and would be delighted if we could solve the itunes/airport express -15000 error problem. I have the same problem as the other poster here (and countless other posters on other forums).

I have all the latest Apple software updates. My system:

- Airport extreme (latest version with dual band) / man mini running itunes 9.x streaming to airport express (also other macs - iMac, MacBook Pro, AppleTV - connected wirelessly to same network)

I cannot get the airport extreme to stream music reliably - itunes on the mac mini produces the error message -15000 and stops streaming.

I have seen and tried many possible fixes on other forums. Nothing has worked so far. So irritating !

Any ideas much appreciated !

Thanks, Mark

Hi Chris,

saw this thread and would be delighted if we could solve the itunes/airport express -15000 error problem. I have the same problem as the other poster here (and countless other posters on other forums).

I have all the latest Apple software updates. My system:

- Airport extreme (latest version with dual band) / man mini running itunes 9.x streaming to airport express (also other macs - iMac, MacBook Pro, AppleTV - connected wirelessly to same network)

I cannot get the airport extreme to stream music reliably - itunes on the mac mini produces the error message -15000 and stops streaming.

I have seen and tried many possible fixes on other forums. Nothing has worked so far. So irritating !

Any ideas much appreciated !

Thanks, Mark

Hi Guys - Can someone with this problem run through these steps and let me know about the issue?

1. What version of iTunes are you running?

2. The AppleTV is connected via wireless I believe. Can you connect it via an Ethernet cable just to rule out wireless as being an issue?

3. You can also try hard wiring your computer as well, but one at a time first, then both if needed. I just want to figure out if this happens wired and wireless.

4. Can you reset your Apple TV just so you know you are starting with a clean slate?

5. If you add your computer via the Apple TV interface, not as a syncing computer rather as a connected computer. Can you pull songs from your computer via the Apple TV's interface?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

some more detail about my set-up:

- Airport extreme (wired ethernet to Zyxel ADSL unit), wirelessly connected to:

- New 2.26GHz MacMini (with iTunes 9.0.2 / Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and my music library via 2 firewire external 1TB drives)

- AirportExpress (n-standard) for streaming music to another room in my apartment

- AppleTV (I use this only for films)

- I also use a G3 iPod Touch for remote control running Apple's Remote app.

My problem, i.e. breakdown of music streaming and the error message -15000, relates to the Airport Express and not to the Apple TV (have not tried this for music).

I will test some wired set-ups as you suggest as soon as I have time and will report back...

Thanks, Mark