IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

3 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I am using the balanced XLR's out from my Spring 3 L2. Is it a good idea to use shorting RCA plugs/caps on the unused RCA outputs?

The reason I ask is that I just tried these, that I borrowed these from a friend

https://www.akikoaudio.com/en/akiko-audio/akiko-audio-audio-accessories/56-qwd

and they do seem to make a positive difference. But I wonder whether shorting plugs could have a similar effect, provided they do no harm.

Such make only sense for inputs. Not for outputs. For outputs it just increases power draw significantly and in worst case could damage the device.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

What surprized me too was the lack of additonal power shown when feeding this DAC with DSD 256/512 over NAA. As if the simple setup of the Mac Mini connected via USB to the Holo Spring 3 was able to squeeze the very best out of this DAC.
Is this in accordance with your own measurements ? Have I missed anything in my process ?

Yes, the Holo has good isolation, so the USB is trouble free. In particular when you use with a proper USB3 cable (with the big blue type-B connector). But also fine with regular USB2 cable if you don't have USB3 source.

NAA is still useful when you want small fanless endpoint and locate the HQPlayer server in a different room, which is the case for me. So I have the UP Gateway running as a NAA, hidden behind Spring 3. While big HQPlayer server with relatively loud fans is running in corner of my office. So the loud fans on the server won't disturb listening...

But yes, Mac Mini, standalone, can run it at very high performance. If you want to try DSD512 or such, you need more power though. And macOS + DoP is limiting your output rate to DSD256. This is also where Linux-based NAA becomes handy.

43 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

Can I ask the level of HQPe output you are using when making your measurements?

Same as listening volume so -3 dBFS. Source files in most cases are 0 dBFS 32-bit TPDF dithered 44.1k PCM (for some tests like TIM, higher rates are needed though). So the source files are always the same and will never cause inter-sample overs, no matter what I'm measuring, PCM or DSD.

Before poly-sinc-gauss group I used poly-sinc-ext2. But now either poly-sinc-gauss-long or poly-sinc-gauss-xl.

All my three Spring's are L2 versions. And audio band measurements are done from balanced outputs. In above case over 5m long "microphone" XLR cable, since I didn't want to move the devices... But usually I use 1.5m long XLR cable. Wide band measurements (5+ MHz) are done from single-ended outputs using RG58 coaxial cable.

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

@Miska

my class d amp, Nuprime Evolution STA, stated that 

• 650KHz high-speed switching frequency allows greater resolution to be achieved.

If switching takes place at 650khz, is there still a benefit of setting output to dsd512 vs dsd256? 

Yes, certainly. Those switching rates are rather low compared to DSD switching rates...

7 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

Do you expect the Holo Cyan to sound differently from Holo Spring and Holo May, knowing that they share the same lineage, and that they display similar SINAD according to the sellers' claims ?

Not necessarily much, depending on different the analog stages are. But the D/A stage at least is somewhat different.

Also Spring 2 and Spring 3 behave somewhat different way, so those two may also sound somewhat different. Although I have not noticed any major differences in sound.